8 replies to this topic

#1 ksriemer

ksriemer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

Hello everybody :-)

This is my first forums entry and I am hoping that someone can help me.

I am looking to find books about Nerikomi in English (or German) language. I was searching in the web and have found some books in Japanese language but nothing in English. I would love to find a book which explains how Nerikomi works, what to consider and some patterns explained step by step to get started.

Apparently once you get it you are kind of self creating your patterns, or so...

Anyway, I have ordered the books in Japanese language - even I cant speak Japanese, this shows you how desperately I am looking for more info ;-)

Thanks very much for tips and links.

All very much appreciated.

Cheers, Kathrin

#2 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

With a quick internet search, I found there are at least a handful of YouTube videos.  I find that's never a bad place to start.

I'm sure Marcia will know some books that will help.

Unfortunately, John won't be around the forums much for a while, because I'm sure he would also have several sources he could recommend.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#3 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

I use nerikome techniques as do many other colored clay artists. Check out the clay lessons area of my site. I also teach workshops on the process as well as coloring your own clay. Google colored clay and you might get more hits. You can also learn a lot from the polymer clay techniques. E mail me if you want a more info.
www.ccpottery.com

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
www.ccpottery.com

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#4 ksriemer

ksriemer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your tips so far. Of course I have looked on youtube and I agree you can get some idea. However, I would like to have a book to read a bit more and get it better explained step by step as in the videos they jump.

I am also living in Sydney, Australia and - thanks for the workshop offer - cannot join workshops in the US.

The idea with the polymer clay is very clever. I will look closer into it.

Many thanks :-)

Vielen Dank!

Cheers, Kathrin

#5 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

I wish there was a book I could recommend but I have not personally found one yet ... this is why I tend to buy the polymer clay books and adapt them to earthen clays.

Two I highly recommend are:

"The Art of Polymer Clay" by Donna Kato

"Polymer Clay Color Inspirations" by Lindly Haunani and Maggie Maggio.

Basically, with earthen clays, you have to keep all parts at the same level of humidity, use yogurt thick slip to join sections, you dry them very slowly to avoid cracks and you do controlled coolings in your firing to avoid cracks.

Someday, I will write a book!!

Right after I make the Youtube videos ... which will be right after I try some new techniques ... which will be right after I get this next batch made ... which will be right after I get off this computer. :rolleyes:

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
www.ccpottery.com

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#6 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Two books I'm looking to: (1) John Britt's "The Complete Guide to Cone 6 Glazes" and (2) Chris Campbell's "Colored Clay".

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#7 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Two books I'm looking to: (1) John Britt's "The Complete Guide to Cone 6 Glazes" and (2) Chris Campbell's "Colored Clay".

Jim

What a coincidence, I'm waiting for Jim Sandefur's "How to Settle Disputes with Neighbors".

#8 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Jim

What a coincidence, I'm waiting for Jim Sandefur's "How to Settle Disputes with Neighbors".

Oh yeah, like you never have to pull a gun on your neighbors.

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#9 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Jim

Oh yeah, like you never have to pull a gun on your neighbors.

Can't say I have....yet.  Though, to be fair, one of the neighboring houses is a rental, so there have been a couple families in and out, since we've been here, and the other house, has been empty, for over a year. 

However, I'm not far from a large city, and even closer to a lot of farmland, which are the perfect ingredients for people, who like to make meth.  And that's why I'm interested in your book, because such an encounter is perfectly plausible in the near future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users