Glaze Manufacturers

I'm just getting back into ceramics again after 35 years. I could really use some help figuring out glazes for mid-fire clays in an electric kiln. At this point I think I would like to stick to pre-mixed glazes from reliable manufacturers rather than mixing my own.

Can anyone recommend some good, food safe glazes, preferrably satin finish, for mid-range firing in an electric kiln?

I tried a sample pack of Amaco Potter's choice glazes that fired beautifully in 12 great colors, but they were all very glossy and not quite earthy or natural looking for my tastes.

Thanks, Jacqueline

I love the Mastering Cone 6 Glazes book - have mixed quite a few glazes from it - if you've got a computer kiln and can use the controlled cool those are awesome - also I second the recommendation for Georgies if you like something a little more dry in surface - they have lots of satins, mattes, and sculptural mattes! We carry them in our shop and I have used the Copper Patina and Cool Lime Matte with great results!

Deanna

www.atlantaclay.com

I love the Mastering Cone 6 Glazes book - have mixed quite a few glazes from it - if you've got a computer kiln and can use the controlled cool those are awesome - also I second the recommendation for Georgies if you like something a little more dry in surface - they have lots of satins, mattes, and sculptural mattes! We carry them in our shop and I have used the Copper Patina and Cool Lime Matte with great results!

Deanna

www.atlantaclay.com

Thank-you for all your suggestions.

Archived