Sign in to follow this  
Stewart

Amaco Oxide Wash

I fire cone 10 reduction and have just ordered some Amaco Oxide Washes. I use Shinos, ash, and a lot of iron based glazes, never have used oxide washes before and was looking for tips or a direction to follow.

Thanks,

Stewart

When wood firing, I commonly choose to use shino with a red iron oxide wash and/or black underglaze (yes, underglaze works on top, too).

I always apply the washes after I've glazed it. Make sure the washes are the consistency of skim milk before applying. It's okay to water them down.

Good luck!

Brooke

When wood firing, I commonly choose to use shino with a red iron oxide wash and/or black underglaze (yes, underglaze works on top, too).

I always apply the washes after I've glazed it. Make sure the washes are the consistency of skim milk before applying. It's okay to water them down.

Good luck!

Brooke

Interesting pots in your profile gallery. The teapot avatar is especially nice. wish there was a larger pic of that.

Jim

Definitely water the Amaco stoneware washes down before applying. They're very dense. I have some examples of work, but it's all at ^6 ox, so probably wouldn't be too much help.

Good luck!

Brooke

Interesting pots in your profile gallery. The teapot avatar is especially nice. wish there was a larger pic of that.

Jim

Thank you! Now, I'm off to submit a larger picture in the gallery. The piece is actually a ewer.

Brooke

pattispots likes this

Good luck!

Brooke

You can't tease "shino,woodfire,iron oxide wash", and not post pictures.....

What is you concentration or rio?

Good luck!

Brooke

You can't tease "shino,woodfire,iron oxide wash", and not post pictures.....

What is you concentration or rio?

As for the RIO, I take a bit and put it in a jar and add water.

If when I stir, It seems too thick or dark, I add more water.

I strive for the consistency of skim milk.

I use a lot of RIO, so it really depends on the piece.