Sign in to follow this  
Frankiegirl

Preventing Pattern Cracking

I just made a bunch juicers and I am trying to figure out why they all got pattern cracking on them. It is like a multiple s shape at the cone of the form. I did dry them in the sun (which I have only recently begun doing with some things). Not sure if that is the culprit. I am wondering if this is an issue with how I am making the form. Any ideas?

I just made a bunch juicers and I am trying to figure out why they all got pattern cracking on them. It is like a multiple s shape at the cone of the form. I did dry them in the sun (which I have only recently begun doing with some things). Not sure if that is the culprit. I am wondering if this is an issue with how I am making the form. Any ideas?

Pictures would help. Air drying in the sun is not an advisable thing on new forms.

post-30517-137220368547_thumb.jpgpost-30517-137220356176_thumb.jpg

Here are the shots. The method I used was to throw them from the same bat and add the stripes and "spout" while on the wheel. I moved them to a board and set the board outside. At leather hard I trimmed them on a foam lined chuck and set them back outside to dry.

post-30517-137220356176_thumb.jpg

post-30517-137220368547_thumb.jpg

In addition to drying them more slowly, try rolling a small ball of clay ind pressing it into the peak of the juicer from underneath. Blend it in with your finger and compress well. I do this to prevent cracks in this type of shape and it always works.

In addition to drying them more slowly, try rolling a small ball of clay ind pressing it into the peak of the juicer from underneath. Blend it in with your finger and compress well. I do this to prevent cracks in this type of shape and it always works.

So simple - Yes! I just don't want to waste time on a trouble form, but that is a great idea. The cracking is right along the stress lines where the collaring was done so I think this will work nicely.