• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anahita King

Anahita King

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

I've been saving my cone 5 pottery seconds with the thought of smashing them into pieces to put into a rock tumbler. Before I jump on a used Lortone 3A (holds 3 pounds) rock tumbler, I'd like to hear success and failure stories.

#2 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

I use a rock tumbler often to smooth shards of old pots, fired grog and the rocks I make and fire to Cone 8. I just use the cheap children's type tumbler you buy in a hobby shop. On my second one and doing fine.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#3 annekat

annekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOlympia, Washington

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

This is something I've thought of doing, and wish I'd saved the old family rock tumbler when my mother died. Can you tell me what hobby shop, or where else, one might buy one of these and how much they run? I think Harbor Freight has them, for one.... But a child's one might be cheaper and might be an option.
Anne

#4 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

Other questions (I've also heard about this, and would like to learn mores)...

-What have people generally used the polished shards for? Jewellery? Mosaic? Wind chimes?
-Do the shards wear down unevenly? (Either the glazed portion or the clay matrix abrading faster?)
-Do you need to limit the time in the tumbler to keep the glaze from wearing down?
-How much electricity do those things burn?
Not all who wander are lost

#5 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

This is the first time I have heard of doing this. Does anyone have photos of tumbled shards?
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#6 annekat

annekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

I had also thought of doing it with ^6 red clay pieces fired to maturity but with no glaze. I was thinking it would be a nice way to fill a tabletop fountain, were I ever to make one. Some glazed shards mixed in with the the unglazed would be nice, too. Or making small, rounded "pebbles" out of clay, firing them, and then tumbling them to see if they'd take on a sheen.
Anne

#7 annekat

annekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Come to think of it, there was something we added to the tumbler to polish the rocks, I think some type of gritty stuff. I'd forgotten about that.
Anne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users