• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren G

Lauren G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

I'm trying to find a clear, satin brush-on glaze for ^5-6 stoneware that's actually clear and not "milky" or "white-ish". Even a matte finish would be ok, but I'd prefer satin. Any suggestions? My clay body is Standard brown 112 and Standard dark brown 266.

Love the Ceramic Arts Daily site, the forums, the features. Thank you for providing such a fabulous resource!

#2 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Try Opulence Clear Liner Glaze. It comes dry, ready to mix with water. I have used it on the inside and outside of many pots with no problems. Definritely clear satin.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#3 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

If you are into making your own glazes you might start here...

#4 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

My day job pays for my clay habit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg area, PA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

I just ordered a jar of Mayco's Matte Clear -- it hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't tried it yet, but that might be an option for you.

#5 Lauren G

Lauren G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for your replies...

Diane, I've done a couple searches online for "Opulence Clear Liner Glaze" but can't find it using this search term. I'd really like to give it a try. Where do you order it from? Do you have an item number to help me locate it? (The closest glaze I was able to find is Opulence Matte Color Base 510. Could this be it?)

Bob, thanks for the attachment. I don't mix glazes yet but I'll save the recipe for when that day comes :)

Nancy, I'm very curious to know how Mayco's clear matte works for you. Please let me know!

Thanks, Lauren

#6 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

I cannot find it anywhere online. I bought it nearly two years ago as a dry glaze and am reasonably certain it was called clear liner. I do see that Opulence sells a clear gloss, but the one I have is definitely satin. I will try to find the receipt.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#7 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

Still looking for that receipt. I can always go over to Highwater and get more info. In the meantime, have you looked into Amaco Clear Satin HF-12?
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#8 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Okay, it took me a trip to Highwater to figure out that is not an Opulence glaze. It is the Glossy Clear Liner Glaze from Mastering Cone 6 Glazes. I have fired it cones 5-7, about half the time with a slow cool. I have had no problems with it. I have rarely used it over underglaze.

Sorry you spent time looking for the Opulence that only existed in my imagination.

BTW, I know someone who raves about the Amaco.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#9 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

I think the reason you are not having people post recipes for a clear satin glaze is that it's an oxymoron. Satin glazes are produced by a fine crystalline mesh during cooling and will never be clear. A lot of satin glazes are simply underfired gloss glazes and are prone to the problems of underfired glazes.

Min

#10 oldlady

oldlady

firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

[quote name='Lauren G' date='21 June 2013 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1371849429' post='37483']
I'm trying to find a clear, satin brush-on glaze for ^5-6 stoneware that's actually clear and not "milky" or "white-ish". Even a matte finish would be ok, but I'd prefer satin. Any suggestions? My clay body is Standard brown 112 and Standard dark brown 266.

I just answered YOUR question in the post looking for a matte WHITE glaze. check it out. my PERSONAL opinion on putting any clear glaze on 112 clay is YUK. that is why i stopped using it years ago. a white matte glaze looks great on #112 though. i do not know anything about the #266. brushing a matte glaze is a possible problem since matte glazes do not like to be touched up. brush strokes disturb the way it settles into the clay.

not explaining well, brain is going......................
"putting you down does not raise me up."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users