glaze on bisque are the same color

Several of my glazes are brown in the bucket and on bisque and it gets confusing when layering glazes. Everything looks the same. Can I add some sort of tint like food color to

make them look a little different. Well not food coloring, because adding anything to dark brown will just come out, well, dark brown. Any thoughts?

stoneware clay, (dark brown, and light buff).

Juli

I would post a picture, but they all pretty much look the same, and you couldnt tell them apart. lol

Hey, Smokin;

I have the same problem. My Shino is a cream colour. My white matt is a cream colour. Even my purple glaze is a cream colour when raw on the bisque. My only solution is a bunch of small cards-2 inches by 1 inch. Actually bits of paper. I glaze in series, so I only need one note per ware board. So, if I have twenty mugs glazed in Shino, I only need one note. I need these notes because I use on-glaze brush decoration. Each glaze gets a different treatment. Sounds like a pain, but it works for me. I guess I could use food colouring, but the notes seem to work for me.

TJR.

I add food colour to my glazes if they are the same colour as the bisque, have used both blue and red, they have always burned out. I tried Crayola liquid tempura paint, it tinted the glaze but also thickened it. I use 2 iron glazes together (that look the same in the bucket), in the one I spray overtop of the other I subbed yellow iron for the red so I could see the difference.

Min

I just write with a pencil on the pot the initials of the glaze on the glazed pots. This does not hurt the glazed ware and burns off-I used to do the paper thing but they blow away easy. The pencil marks are quick and stay.

Mark

Several of my glazes are brown in the bucket and on bisque and it gets confusing when layering glazes. Everything looks the same. Can I add some sort of tint like food color to

make them look a little different. Well not food coloring, because adding anything to dark brown will just come out, well, dark brown. Any thoughts?

stoneware clay, (dark brown, and light buff).

Juli

I would post a picture, but they all pretty much look the same, and you couldnt tell them apart. lol

Firstly, have you tried black food colour?

If it doesn't work you might get away with adding inkjet ink or indian ink. I expect that [enough] black ink would darken the brown. But that's not

going to give you more than 1 or 2 new shades. Haven't tried it, but expect it burns out without too many nasties.

Regards, Peter

PS Silver or gold indian ink might give a metallic sheen? More concerns that the additions might survive the firing to influence the nature of the glaze.

Thanks for all the great comments, I will try them out. I dont know why in the world they would make black food coloring, but I will look for it, as well as blue and red. Mark, I can never find a pencil or pen when I'm glazing, or my glasses, or my notes for that matter, but as long as pandora is up loud, Im pretty happy! Giltex58, thanks for the sweet comp.! *)

Thanks for all the great comments, I will try them out. I dont know why in the world they would make black food coloring, but I will look for it, as well as blue and red. Mark, I can never find a pencil or pen when I'm glazing, or my glasses, or my notes for that matter, but as long as pandora is up loud, Im pretty happy! Giltex58, thanks for the sweet comp.! *)

Oh, yes, there is quite a market for black food coloring!! (Especially around Halloween....) It usually comes in a paste form, in little jars. You can probably find it at a local craft shop like Michael's, Jo-Ann, or AC Moore if you don't have a cake/kitchen supply house nearby. You have to use a lot of the black food coloring in frosting, or else it comes out a sickly greenish gray.

Archived