What do you collect and why? | June 19, 2013

Rocks. I don't mean to, but somehow I end up coming home from trips with special pebbles, smooth rocks, interestingly colored or shaped stones. I try to keep the size down, because we have plenty of stuff in our house without the rocks as well. When you start to notice them, there is such an endless variety! And they are free!!!!!!

If you like rocks, have a look at what my friend michelle is doing with them...I just love her work. http://www.michellevulama.com/

T

Rocks. I don't mean to, but somehow I end up coming home from trips with special pebbles, smooth rocks, interestingly colored or shaped stones. I try to keep the size down, because we have plenty of stuff in our house without the rocks as well. When you start to notice them, there is such an endless variety! And they are free!!!!!!

If you like rocks, have a look at what my friend michelle is doing with them...I just love her work. http://www.michellevulama.com/

T

Nice rocks!

Jim

Hi,

I also collect southwest pots and trade with other potters usually mugs. It's pleasing to go through my collection and remember the potters from years ago, I have also traded with other artists so have a wonderful collection of water colors and metal arts..

Joy

Did you try to glaze them?

• 4 weeks later...

Recently I was fortunate enough to be browsing at the great supply store in Austin, Texas called Armadillo Clay and I was admiring many examples of non-functional pottery.  To some degree every non-functional piece was inspiring, and I wondered what I might have missed hidden around any lost corner.  At whim, or strong hunch, and by chance, I asked of the humble artist herself if perhaps she had any items in the store, and she mentioned something "over the stairs" so I got to look precisely where I had not yet managed.

To my astonishment there hung a large puzzle mural, as splendorous as few gifted visionaries might imagine with practice, and then fewer determined potters would ever succeed to orchestrate - but - if it is assembled, would we say it was now of reduced function?  Or should we say its function was therefore fully realised, amplified, greater than the sum of its parts?

I have collected that unique meeting in memory, where one's mind plays kiln to lucidity, and sadly I can't bake up copy better than this.  Perhaps the store can send you a picture of it, the clay mural over the stairs inspired by a day of snorkeling adventure for the artist.  I know I would buy the print to frame.  Save me a print please, signed by the artist.  I can collect the print now, hopefully... I forgot to ask the other day for one, but thanks to snaegele's dilemma, wherein we all become paradoxical characters sooner or later, today I have an abundance of non-functioning admirations. 

Over the past 30 years, I have been collecting pottery, but with a specific plan.  My husband and I have always enjoyed art shows and festivals, and our budget was small.  So each show we would go to, we would find the potter whose work we enjoyed the most.  Then we would choose the most affordable pieces and ask the potter to pick which one was the most interesting to make or for some reason was a personal favorite.  I learned a lot by listening to their stories and ideas, but we also have some lovely pieces from people who have become recognized.  Now that I am learning to make my own, I really appreciate the potters who shared their knowledge, skill and creativity.

• 1 month later...

Oh my this is a live wire-my wife may say I have no limits I say its getting better

I collect and use mugs for drinking as I like a handmade mug made by others as well as my own-In my 75 mugs I only have a few of my own.

I collect salt jugs and large crock pots from yesteryear like a 20 and 50 gallon and some smaller ones- the cobalt or iron logos on side (these are salt glazed)

I collect shipwreck brass I mean I dive for it  or buy it when I see it and I like it-my piles are into the tons now from various wrecks

Nautical items in general-ships telegraph's-brass compasses-voice tubes-ships bells if brass

Brass propellers-I have  one thats 750#s on down-maybe 25 of them

old dive stuff-like a brass Mark 5 navy diving helmet fron 1942

I have two working portholes built into house

dive horn wired near kiln that sounds the dive alarm Aooogaaa-also from 1945

Did I mention hats-maybe a small museum worth-my mother started me on these from her world travels in the 60's

I have them from all over the world-need some??

Fishing gear 

Tools

Materials-ceramic and others

Art-and yard art

surboards-boats 2 kayaks-2 Gave a few away

Stainless steel

Bricks

Nice pots from folks I have met in life -some famous some not so

names you may know or not

Otto -Coleman-Resse Bullen-Warren Jim William's-Jeff Koons not the one you think and others

Am I painting a picture?

I avoided this thread for some time now the gigs up.

Some of this has a lot of value some just scrap value

but for me I really do not have a plan except it will be my wifes issue someday.For that I'm starting to let some go.

Mark

Archived