#1 S. Dean

S. Dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC USA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

I have a circa 1988 Creative Industries MP Wheel (angle iron legs) that needs a new splash pan. Neither Speedball nor any of the major ceramic suppliers have been able to provide a replacement solution. Since the CI ones are "unobtanium", I was wondering if anyone had successfully adapted another manufacturer's splash pan? Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

i have a clay boss wheel with a splashpan i never use. Speedball took over for whoever made it. since you mentioned speedball i thought it might be the same shape.
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#3 Mesi

Mesi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have a circa 1988 Creative Industries MP Wheel (angle iron legs) that needs a new splash pan. Neither Speedball nor any of the major ceramic suppliers have been able to provide a replacement solution. Since the CI ones are "unobtanium", I was wondering if anyone had successfully adapted another manufacturer's splash pan? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dude I have the same wheel! And the splash pan was just shattered. I just went to the auto parts store and bought a fiberglass repair kit, and patched it up. Though if you no longer have the splash pan, that's another story.

I've had good luck getting replacement parts for it by asking my local pottery supplier. He's really knowledgeable and was able to come up with a solution for me. Rather than go through a manufacturer who doesn't have any "official" fix for it, could you go to someplace smaller like that and find someone who could provide a "work around"?

#4 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

Their have been other threads here about using regular tubs, square or round as trimming pans for wheels. You might be able to figure a way of building a pan for it using these and hardware parts. I used to teach in a school with an MP, and an HP. Great wheels, but the splash pans were pretty flimsy.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#5 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

Splash pans are in the way and a pain to clean. They should be an option (like on the best wheel--Soldner), not automatically part of the wheel. A big, thick sponge placed between the edge of the wheel head and the water bowl works as well as a splash pan (unless you use way too much water) and isn't in the way and cleans up with a squeeze or two.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#6 Krebs Pottery

Krebs Pottery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFayetteville GA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

I recently sold a ci wheel (also angled iron legs) that didn't have a splashpan. I never knew the age of mine but it was VERY old. I bought a newer (only a few years old) Pacifica wheel only because I am left handed and wanted to be able to go clockwise for trimming and also because I am a very messy thrower and desperately needed a splashpan. For a while I had both wheels and was surprised to find that the Pacifica splash pan fit on the ci wheel. If I had known that there was a pan that fit I probably would have just kept the ci wheel and suffered through trimming with my right hand.
~Cheryl

#7 S. Dean

S. Dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

-Stephen Dean

#8 S. Dean

S. Dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Dude I have the same wheel! And the splash pan was just shattered. I just went to the auto parts store and bought a fiberglass repair kit, and patched it up. Though if you no longer have the splash pan, that's another story.

I've had good luck getting replacement parts for it by asking my local pottery supplier. He's really knowledgeable and was able to come up with a solution for me. Rather than go through a manufacturer who doesn't have any "official" fix for it, could you go to someplace smaller like that and find someone who could provide a "work around"?

Thanks for the fiberglass suggestion. I ended up using Waterweld, a JB Weld product, to repair it. It is an epoxy putty and it's kind of like working with clay. Have not worked with fiberglass before and the Waterweld seemed like an easier approach for this repair. Will explore the sponge and Pacifica splash pan options suggested by some other members, as these CI pans were manufactured with built in obsolesence in mind.

#9 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

I recently sold a ci wheel (also angled iron legs) that didn't have a splashpan. I never knew the age of mine but it was VERY old. I bought a newer (only a few years old) Pacifica wheel only because I am left handed and wanted to be able to go clockwise for trimming and also because I am a very messy thrower and desperately needed a splashpan. For a while I had both wheels and was surprised to find that the Pacifica splash pan fit on the ci wheel. If I had known that there was a pan that fit I probably would have just kept the ci wheel and suffered through trimming with my right hand.

Krebs;
Lucky you to be left-handed. Pottery is one of the few areas where left-handed ness is an advantage. All your inside hand stuff is done with your left hand. I taught myself to trim with my right hand after having to trim about 50 bowls. I really only use my right hand for carrying luggage.
Did you know that Michael Cardew was left-handed? Also, Marcia Selsor.And myself of course.
TJR.

#10 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Splash pans are in the way and a pain to clean. They should be an option (like on the best wheel--Soldner), not automatically part of the wheel. A big, thick sponge placed between the edge of the wheel head and the water bowl works as well as a splash pan (unless you use way too much water) and isn't in the way and cleans up with a squeeze or two.

Jim

Jim- I've seen you allude to this a couple of times, and I'd definitely like to ditch my splash pan if possible. Doesn't the splash pattern pretty much arc out evenly around the pot that you're throwing, though? Or- is the splash limited to a narrow degree range (off your hands, or a tool if you throw with one).

Where, exactly, do you position the sponge? (I use a Brent CXC, by the way).

I've thrown some mega-wide bowls without the pan, but I generally seem to get bits of slurry hitting the walls (or dogs, or bystanders).

Anyhow, something to experiment with when I get back from Ecuador on the 30th.
Not all who wander are lost

#11 S. Dean

S. Dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Jim

Jim- I've seen you allude to this a couple of times, and I'd definitely like to ditch my splash pan if possible. Doesn't the splash pattern pretty much arc out evenly around the pot that you're throwing, though? Or- is the splash limited to a narrow degree range (off your hands, or a tool if you throw with one).

I've thrown some mega-wide bowls without the pan, but I generally seem to get bits of slurry hitting the walls (or dogs, or bystanders).

You can see where Mark Peters places his sponge in this video:

http://ceramicartsda...a-faceted-bowl/

Although I think Mark throws with the wheel head in a clock wise direction, so placement of the sponge may be different for the majority of folks.

#12 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Jim

Like anything new it takes a little getting used to. Just get rid of that huge, clunky Brent splash pan and use a water bowl that is high enough to hold a large thick sponge against the edge of the wheelhead. The sponge should be wet and sometimes you have to wet the wheelhead. You'll get none to a little spatter on your leg depending on how much water you use to throw. I wear clay-covered jeans when I'm throwing so I don't care if I get a little splatter, but if that matters to you put a towel over your leg. The main advantage is that you can get down under large pots like big bowls to better see what you're doing and control the bottom and use a fettling knife or rib. If you're using bats, it makes it faster and easier to remove them when you need to use a tool to lift the bat, if you use a mirror to see the pot's profile there's no splash pan blocking your view, clean up consist of squeezing out a sponge and then using it to wipe down the top of your wheel instead of wrestling with a huge splash pan with a bunch of nooks and crannies.

Have fun in Ecuador.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#13 S. Dean

S. Dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Just to document my efforts to find a replacement splash pan for the Creative Industries MP/HP wheel, I was able to borrow a Brent splash pan. It will not work.

I am hoping to borrow a Pacifica splash pan per suggestion above by Krebs Pottery. Anybody in the Raleigh NC area have one that I could try?

-SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users