trimming platter with altered rim

I can't visualize the type of chuck needed to turn a foot on a bowl, platter, with an altered rim. It will need to be a wet chuck because my piece will be ready

to trim in a couple of days. Would it be a large mound of clay roughly the size of the base for support and high enough so the rim doesnt touch the wheel head?

Any and all information would be helpful. "I'm trying to think, but nothings happening".

juli

As Benzine suggests, making a large clay chuck is one way to make the support for trimming a platter. I like the idea of cloth to keep the platter from sticking, but I also use plastic wrap over the chuck to keep the trim item from sticking to the chuck. I like this, as it keeps the clay in the chuck ready to be wedged and used again.

Another method is to use thick foam, or layers of foam built up, to support the platter while trimming. I have a bat I made using foam that I use to trim. If the rim is wider than my foam bat, I use that, and build up foam support as needed. Keep the wheel speed low, and carefully work the platter on center to trim. Cautions are catching the trimming tool on too soft clay and gouging or jerking the piece off center. I frequently trim too soft and learned the cautions the hard way.

John

I have a bat with 2" foam as mark describes. If this won't work for your altered rim, try putting a 1-2" thick clay coil on the rim of a coffee can. Center the can and attach with clay.

you can lay a thin piece of oam on top of that. I have added some water to the can to help give it some weight if needed. It really depends on how altered a shape you have to work with.

Marcia

Archived