#1 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

Through the winter million of tumble weed roll through my back yard. This spring I got a new 55 gal barrel and burn a few thousand tumble weeds that dared into my back yard. Yesterday I cleaned out the barrel, screened the ash, and now have 2.5 quarts of dried tumble weed ash for my next ash glaze. As I labeled the container, I wondered if anyone else has any strange jars of stuff ready to add to their next batch of glaze.

So, which one of you has collected the strangest "stuff" to go into a glaze, clay body, or whatever..... I thought tumbleweed ash was a bit strange... Does that mean I hooked on pottery or just off center a bit? Let's heaar what "stuff" others have collected or added?

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

animal ash-cherry wood ash-copper metal shavings-road kill bags of dry materials
Seems all normal to me?
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 jrgpots

jrgpots

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

animal ash-cherry wood ash-copper metal shavings-road kill bags of dry materials
Seems all normal to me?
Mark

road kill bags................OK, you have the lead so far. By-the-way. if anyone want tumbleweed ash. I'm taking orders for this year's crop. Harvesting starts around October and really never ends.

Jed

#4 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Through the winter million of tumble weed roll through my back yard. This spring I got a new 55 gal barrel and burn a few thousand tumble weeds that dared into my back yard. Yesterday I cleaned out the barrel, screened the ash, and now have 2.5 quarts of dried tumble weed ash for my next ash glaze. As I labeled the container, I wondered if anyone else has any strange jars of stuff ready to add to their next batch of glaze.

So, which one of you has collected the strangest "stuff" to go into a glaze, clay body, or whatever..... I thought tumbleweed ash was a bit strange... Does that mean I hooked on pottery or just off center a bit? Let's heaar what "stuff" others have collected or added?

Not in a glaze but to form a glaze during firing: deer livers, moth balls (the chemical, not from the insects--which would be unkind), dog food (lots of copper in it), lawn clippings (forms a white glaze where very thick), llama poop....

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#5 davidh

davidh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

John Britt, an expert in glazes, has written interesting articles on various and odd things he has tested for glazing. He has a good website and YouTubes.

#6 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

I use the clay from the flood plain. I collected a bunch from the "flood of the century in 1997" We had had several huge floods since then. I guess it was safe to call it the flood of the century, since the century was almost over. The clay looks like Albany slip.
I haven't collected any moth balls as I guess you would need tiny tweezers. You are right Jim. It would probably be unkind.
TJR.

#7 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

if anyone want tumbleweed ash. I'm taking orders for this year's crop. Harvesting starts around October and really never ends.

Jed

Do not start this! Otherwise next thing we hear is that Jim is selling the lama poop and dear livers! Posted Image

#8 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I collected material from the iridium layer at an exposed site of the K/T boundary ( the big asteroid that killed the dinosaurs). I made a glaze out of it for mugs I made for some of my geologist friends.

#9 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

I collected material from the iridium layer at an exposed site of the K/T boundary ( the big asteroid that killed the dinosaurs). I made a glaze out of it for mugs I made for some of my geologist friends.

Interesting. What did you collect in that layer? How much and how did it turn out?

Jim
E pur si muove.

#10 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

Bob, I always wondered about Iridium, what did you notice about the results.
Wyndham

#11 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

... dog food (lots of copper in it) ...

Jim

Just noticed that. Great! I feel better now. If so far we were under the radar of NSA for the key words "weed", "pot",
now we are all under the category "harmless nuts".

#12 jrgpots

jrgpots

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

... dog food (lots of copper in it) ...

Jim

Just noticed that. Great! I feel better now. If so far we were under the radar of NSA for the key words "weed", "pot",
now we are all under the category "harmless nuts".

So you're saying that if I were to post about how I "got rid of" the tumble "weed" by stuffing them into a big metal drum in the back, so I can glaze o cool "pot", I might have more "people" following my tread about the "Stuff?" I always thought I had to come up with interesting topics...........huh......And to have that tread talk about extinction, Iridium, and ash as well. We are all going to be busted.....

Jed

#13 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

Seems all normal to me?
Mark

road kill bags................OK, you have the lead so far. By-the-way. if anyone want tumbleweed ash. I'm taking orders for this year's crop. Harvesting starts around October and really never ends.

Jed

I drive a lot to Az/Colorado/Nevada shows and the like over the past 25-30 years . Its about a two day drive-I go by lots of mines and trucks which at time spill loads of stuff.
The borax mine in the mohave for one-so over the years I have stopped and picked up more than a few bags of unknown stuff spilled off big rigs and always try it in a glaze fire for a test.
Hence road kill bags. Yet to find a bag full of $
A few times I can identify the bag first.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#14 Iforgot

Iforgot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Seems all normal to me?
Mark

Jed

Totally, who doesn't need tumbleweed ash. E-mail with order information, or I can email you. You can reach me at darrelspottery@gmail.com.

Darrel

Derek VonDrehle

Raku, Pit fired, Majolica, and Stoneware ceramic artisit

#15 Iforgot

Iforgot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

Im collecting cow dung ash and dirt from various places. I figure that I can make an ash glaze and a slip.

Darrel
Derek VonDrehle

Raku, Pit fired, Majolica, and Stoneware ceramic artisit

#16 jrgpots

jrgpots

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

Seems all normal to me?
Mark

Jed

I drive a lot to Az/Colorado/Nevada shows and the like over the past 25-30 years . Its about a two day drive-I go by lots of mines and trucks which at time spill loads of stuff.
The borax mine in the mohave for one-so over the years I have stopped and picked up more than a few bags of unknown stuff spilled off big rigs and always try it in a glaze fire for a test.
Hence road kill bags. Yet to find a bag full of $
A few times I can identify the bag first.
Mark

My grandfather was a rock hound. You don't know how many bags of rocks, dust, etc. we collected along the side of the roads...

#17 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Interesting. What did you collect in that layer? How much and how did it turn out?

Jim

The iridium layer occurs between two layers of "mudstone" clay. The layer itself has a strong clay content but also is much different than either the layer above or below. The layer itself is only about half an inch in thickness and is much lighter in color than the clay layers above and below. It was easy to grind wet in a mortar and pestle to get the clay out.

It acts like ball clay and it was easy to incorporate it into a glaze. It produced a pretty bland looking clear glaze, so I added some RIO to spice it up a bit.

I also harvested both of the layers above and below the K/T layer as well as he layer itself. I glazed the mugs so that they had all three layers as they appeared in the geological formation.

#18 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

I also harvested both of the layers above and below the K/T layer as well as he layer itself. I glazed the mugs so that they had all three layers as they appeared in the geological formation.

What a great idea. I love it.

Jim
E pur si muove.

#19 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

What a great idea. I love it.

Jim

That is indeed awesome.

You don't have any pictures of the mugs do you?
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#20 kathi

kathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have a bucket of dog hair from my shepard-chow mix. He sheds a lot in the spring. I will use it in the saggar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users