#1 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Ok having only used commercial glaze, I would love to try mixing one on my own. Does anyone have a recipe for a pretty light peach / melon color? Cone 5-6 As simple as possible?

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,435 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Ok having only used commercial glaze, I would love to try mixing one on my own. Does anyone have a recipe for a pretty light peach / melon color? Cone 5-6 As simple as possible?

Alas, you have run into a range of color that is a little more difficult without the use of a stain. Most orange and red colors as your melon is between the two are more difficult at ^6. So I would start with a base opaque, and add a Mason stain. Others might have a recipe that depends on the interaction of chromium and tin, but I don't have one for that color.
Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#3 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

yes, contact me by email with more details. i have several with varying shades of peachiness with simple base recipies and a little stain.
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#4 Iforgot

Iforgot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

This recipe is a ripe cantaloupe color.

EPK14.00g Silica26.00g Wollastonite14.50g F-4 Feldspar24.00g Frit 324920.00g

Add 5% of Mason stain 6121

Good Luck!
Darrel
Derek VonDrehle

Raku, Pit fired, Majolica, and Stoneware ceramic artisit

#5 Gary Taylor

Gary Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Darrel

I can't wait to try your ripe cantaloupe glaze but a little confused with the Frit. Is that 20 grams of Frit 3249? My eye sight isn't great and I can't quite make it out.
Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Thanks

Gary Taylor

#6 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Gary, looks like 20 grams is what Darrel was saying. Looks like an interesting glaze. if you like the look of the finish, which looks like it should be a gloss, you could use this as a base glaze and use other stains to get a wider pallet of glaze colors.
Wyndham

#7 Iforgot

Iforgot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

Darrel

I can't wait to try your ripe cantaloupe glaze but a little confused with the Frit. Is that 20 grams of Frit 3249? My eye sight isn't great and I can't quite make it out.
Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Thanks

Gary Taylor

Yes, 20 grams of frit 3249
Derek VonDrehle

Raku, Pit fired, Majolica, and Stoneware ceramic artisit

#8 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thank you so much for the help! I Will gather supplies for my first mix and make an attempt at this :)

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

#9 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

The clear base glaze that Darrel posted, G1215U, is a wonderful clear for low expansion clays. It's expansion is 5.71 so it's probably going to shiver on a lot of clays. Min

#10 Gary Taylor

Gary Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thank you for the clarification of the frit and weight.

Gary Taylor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users