Kansas City Clay Guild Teabowl National 2013 | Aug. 23 -Sept. 20, 2013

Guest JBaymore

Guest JBaymore
There are a few there grossly underpriced!

THAT is an understatement, and then some. More than a few. The bulk of them are. Us potters are our own worst enemys sometimes.

My prices are based upon the pricing advice my main mentor in Japan has said my bowls should be at at any given time. (I focus on actual tea ceremony use in making them.) I have to keep the structure reasonably similar between what I charge in Japan and in the US. As it is...... the US price is about 20-25% cheaper here.

best,

..............john

There are a few there grossly underpriced!

THAT is an understatement, and then some. More than a few. The bulk of them are. Us potters are our own worst enemys sometimes.

My prices are based upon the pricing advice my main mentor in Japan has said my bowls should be at at any given time. (I focus on actual tea ceremony use in making them.) I have to keep the structure reasonably similar between what I charge in Japan and in the US. As it is...... the US price is about 20-25% cheaper here.

best,

..............john

Who, or whom are your mentors?

Thanks to you I can spot a few that might not have that. ........"balance" and or wouldn't qualify for "ceremonial". But handling a bowl is the true test.

I also wish the US market would support paying more for guinomi over yunomi....

[q

best,

..............john

your entries are beautiful.

question, how can you price yours in the show at $300 when the entry info sets a limit of $200?

The Kansas City Clay Guild Teabowl National 2013 exhibition will be held at Avila University in Kansas City from August 23rd through September 20th, 2013.

The selected works are posted online now at: http://teabowlnation...3-teabowls.html

best,

...............john

That is their best show yet. Jeppesen stayed pretty close to the traditional form (a few exceptions) but still got so many really nice takes on that form. Your raku teabowl almost makes me want to drink tea!

Jim

Guest JBaymore

question, how can you price yours in the show at $300 when the entry info sets a limit of $200?

Oldlady,

Thanks for the kind words.

The pricing there actually was an error on my part (and a little one on theirs too).

They changed the price ceiling from $500 in past years to $200 for this exhibition. I missed it in the prospectus when I entered. After the two pieces were juried in, then it got listed on the site at the price that I had listed on the forms... which was higher than the stated limit (their "oops").

After I saw YOUR question here.... I contacted the organizers and in fairness to all of the other artists involved...... I had them drop the prices for the two pieces. (So there is a bargain there to be had for one of my chawan wink.gif. For this show I already was running the prices a tad below my "normal" for chawan.)

So there you have the story. And thanks for pointing it out.

best,

...............john

Oldlady,

Thanks for the kind words.

The pricing there actually was an error on my part (and a little one on theirs too).

They changed the price ceiling from $500 in past years to $200 for this exhibition. I missed it in the prospectus when I entered. After the two pieces were juried in, then it got listed on the site at the price that I had listed on the forms... which was higher than the stated limit (their "oops").

After I saw YOUR question here.... I contacted the organizers and in fairness to all of the other artists involved...... I had them drop the prices for the two pieces. (So there is a bargain there to be had for one of my chawan wink.gif. For this show I already was running the prices a tad below my "normal" for chawan.)

So there you have the story. And thanks for pointing it out.

best,

...............john

Well, John, let's hope you win the purchase prize. I won it a few years back when Pete Pinnell judged the show, but my teabowl that they purchased was priced considerably less than yours.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Archived