Applying Kiln Wash

I've found that a miscalculation with runny glazes can cause the glaze run to soak through the kiln wash.  Especially if it isn't thick enough to absorb the glaze before it gets to the shelf.  I've been using grog in the kiln wash to beef it up.  Seems to work.  Personally, I only have one set of mullite shelves in my kiln, on the very bottom.  If you aren't stuck on runny glazes or have all your glazes dialed in, this probably won't be an issue. 

If the glaze does reach the mullite shelf, it will be absorbed into the shelf.  Then the only recourse is to grind it flush and get a thick layer of kiln wash over.  Or throw it away and start over. 

If it soaks into the shelf, grind it smooth and put some kiln wash on it. Don't put pots in that spot. Regrind and reapply kiln wash after each firing. After a couple of firings the glaze will stop absorbing the kiln wash and you'll be good to go to use that spot again.

• 7 months later...

I've just put wash on my shelves, and read somewhere that I should bisque fire them first before doing a glaze firing with them. Is this really necessary? Wondering cuz I have tons of stuff to glaze and not so much greenware to bisque, and I'd rather not fire an empty (or almost empty) kiln.  

I never had a problem until recently when 3 things came together.

Fresh Kiln Wash. Too Fast Fire. And Alumina wax on my feet. 

Seems like the fast firing had the wash and clay in a state at the same time they wouldn't normally be in which made em stick real good, when the pots shrank they popped off.

Never a problem otherwise.

Sorce

Archived