sgraffito

This is one area where you just have to wait until the pot has set up a bit ... I call it cheese hard ... like cheddar cheese for me. Some people like to carve earlier or later, depends on what tool you are carving with and how sharp it is. You can't really carve much into soft clay without distorting it but some people like that effect too.

As Chris says, cheese hard is the earliest time to do sgarffito unless you want to deform the pot. I also work on leather hard after a slip coating to give me a little crisper edge. I use a notched squidgy to push and pull slip in a form like sgraffito but in the end cheese to leather hard

I also find that I have better control over the line that the tool makes if the clay is a little harder and doesn't gouge in as much while incising.... however, too dry, and the tool will start slipping around and you will lose control again. Also, when painting slip on the pot, it may make the clay a little softer than it was. If the clay is on the dry side of "cheese hard", it may suck up some of the moisture from the slip and be just right. There are so many variables, such as the thickness of the clay, how much slip you are applying, etc. It's all trial and error within your personal working methods. But if you are getting deforming, starting with a somewhat drier pot should help.

I tend to incise deeper lines than is typical for sgraffito, and there's definitely a 'sweet spot'. I like things a little harder than is typically referred to as 'cheese hard'- hard enough to yield sharp, clean, flowing lines without the tool catching or any fracturing in the clay.

It's a surprisingly finite range... but glorious when you find it.

I tend to incise deeper lines than is typical for sgraffito, and there's definitely a 'sweet spot'. I like things a little harder than is typically referred to as 'cheese hard'- hard enough to yield sharp, clean, flowing lines without the tool catching or any fracturing in the clay.

It's a surprisingly finite range... but glorious when you find it.

I like to carve bamboo chopsticks into sgraffito tools. They are cheap, I can have several different shapes, and they leave a smooth mark in leather hard clay.

I use dental tools, for some of my sgraffito, as well as my detailed carving. They are small, and even though when I get them, they are worn for their intended purpose, they are more than sharp enough to cleanly carve into clay.

... and where does one get used dental tools?

I use dental tools, for some of my sgraffito, as well as my detailed carving. They are small, and even though when I get them, they are worn for their intended purpose, they are more than sharp enough to cleanly carve into clay.

Check with your local dentists. I also find them at the local large hardware surplus store. It seems that they are popular for a lot of uses like soldering and carving, cleaning tools etc.

Check with your local dentists. I also find them at the local large hardware surplus store. It seems that they are popular for a lot of uses like soldering and carving, cleaning tools etc.

Leather working and tooling shops also sell them. as well as many stamps, cutters, etc.

Leather working and tooling shops also sell them. as well as many stamps, cutters, etc.

Or, you could just be married to a dental assistant.......

I used a porcupine quill on this one. Cone 5 dark clay with porcelain slip on top. blue slip brushed on.

http://ceramicartsda...wimage&img=2213

Cheese hard is the way to go.

Marcia

for some reason i cannot see the link. the page that comes up is form CAD saying i am not logged in. can't get around it. have been logged in almost all day trying to get these DA^%(*%^m pictures in.

I used a porcupine quill on this one. Cone 5 dark clay with porcelain slip on top. blue slip brushed on.

Cheese hard is the way to go.

Marcia

for some reason i cannot see the link. the page that comes up is form CAD saying i am not logged in. can't get around it. have been logged in almost all day trying to get these DA^%(*%^m pictures in.

I have had the same issue, with Marcia's link, and at least one other. I even tried logging in again, to no avail.

I too am having this issue with clicking on links. Message says I do not have permission to do this action and I should log in so I can do so... Re-logging is of no help still can't get the links to work. What am I doing wrong?

Terry

I too am having this issue with clicking on links. Message says I do not have permission to do this action and I should log in so I can do so... Re-logging is of no help still can't get the links to work. What am I doing wrong?

Terry

Glad it's not just me.

Could be the incredibly SLOW wifi at my hotels.

maybe it doesn't all get included. The link is to my gallery, made in France album ..there is a square plaque in there with sgraffito.

I will be back home tomorrow night.

Should not have issues after that.

Ciao.

I am ready to be home.

Marcia

This is the sgrafitto piece from my gallery

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=2213

I am home now. Tis was a dark clay with a porcelain slip applied. Then drawn using a porcupine quill. It is a street scene outside the studio in the old medieval part of Vallauris, France.

AIR Vallauris is where I did a residency last October. It worked when I clicked on it. Let me know if it is working. Got home last night from the Tuscany Tour III. It was really a great group. Nice people. All went smoothly except for some twisted ankles. So much to see looking up, people walked off curbs.

Marcia

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=2213

I am home now. Tis was a dark clay with a porcelain slip applied. Then drawn using a porcupine quill. It is a street scene outside the studio in the old medieval part of Vallauris, France.

AIR Vallauris is where I did a residency last October. It worked when I clicked on it. Let me know if it is working. Got home last night from the Tuscany Tour III. It was really a great group. Nice people. All went smoothly except for some twisted ankles. So much to see looking up, people walked off curbs.

Marcia

Marcia

Archived