9 replies to this topic

#1 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

Friend of mine asked me to make few bottles for his home made beer and I thought why not. The idea is to use stoneware clay and fire those around 1257-60C in electric kiln. For cap, we like to use swing top bottle closures like Grolsch has.
If he wants about 50 bottles, it makes sense to make a mold and pour the bottles.
Have you done this? Poured stoneware clay? What are the problems you run in to? All tips and recommendations are welcome :)

Cheers!

#2 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

Cannot help you with the bottles ... but have been in a basement with exploding home made beer! Posted Image
Good luck with the project, sounds challenging and interesting.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#3 goodie2shus

goodie2shus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Friend of mine asked me to make few bottles for his home made beer and I thought why not. The idea is to use stoneware clay and fire those around 1257-60C in electric kiln. For cap, we like to use swing top bottle closures like Grolsch has.
If he wants about 50 bottles, it makes sense to make a mold and pour the bottles.
Have you done this? Poured stoneware clay? What are the problems you run in to? All tips and recommendations are welcome :)/>

Cheers!

#4 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

Have you done this? Poured stoneware clay? What are the problems you run in to? All tips and recommendations are welcome Posted Image

Cheers!

Of course bottles explode if fermentation is still going strong and gases are produced by yeast. That's what barrels are for :)

#5 Brian Stein

Brian Stein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationND

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

The flip tops should prevent explosions, they will release gasses. If the brewer has carbonated in bottles before, will know how much to prime each bottle for best taste which is below explosion pressures.

I've been working on throwing 1/2 gal stoneware growlers, getting the clay to fit the large flip-tops with shrinkage has been a challenge. I designed the bottle in Illustrator, enlarged 115% and printed it out. I take my dimensions off the printout when I throw. I have successfully thrown one but have not bisque fired it yet. The top looks like it will fit but I don't want to try it on green ware fearing I may break or chip it.

If you go for bottles, I would throw 22 oz. It's a good size for drinking and is standard for filling at brew pubs. The smaller flip tops would probably be a little easier to fit, they just have lugs on the side with a small hole in each for the flip-top to pull against. I would think getting the shrinkage factor into your mold design will be the primary hurdle.

-Brin

Attached Files

#6 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

I have not done bottles before, but I would just make a bunch of necks so you can test your shrinkage, then you would know if your stopper fits without having to fire loads of bottles. Just a thought... T

#7 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

The flip tops should prevent explosions, they will release gasses. If the brewer has carbonated in bottles before, will know how much to prime each bottle for best taste which is below explosion pressures.

I've been working on throwing 1/2 gal stoneware growlers, getting the clay to fit the large flip-tops with shrinkage has been a challenge. I designed the bottle in Illustrator, enlarged 115% and printed it out. I take my dimensions off the printout when I throw. I have successfully thrown one but have not bisque fired it yet. The top looks like it will fit but I don't want to try it on green ware fearing I may break or chip it.

If you go for bottles, I would throw 22 oz. It's a good size for drinking and is standard for filling at brew pubs. The smaller flip tops would probably be a little easier to fit, they just have lugs on the side with a small hole in each for the flip-top to pull against. I would think getting the shrinkage factor into your mold design will be the primary hurdle.

-Brin

nice frit. T

#8 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

-Brin

I guess with your last name you be an expert. (Lol)

But while,your at it can you guys post some images beer related glasses, mugs or "steins". That you've made. I'm looking for inspiration for a rugged ceramic beer vessel.

(While I enjoy a big hoppy IPA don't bring it to me in a delicate snifter.). (Or any beer for that matter)
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#9 Brian Stein

Brian Stein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationND

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

I guess with your last name you be an expert. (Lol)

But while,your at it can you guys post some images beer related glasses, mugs or "steins". That you've made. I'm looking for inspiration for a rugged ceramic beer vessel.

Maybe you have heard of my Uncle Stein? He would have been a great potter if he had put his mind to it. (Lol)

For ideas, I found an old Schlitz printing press die probably from a newspaper. I thought it would make a great sprig mold for some 16oz thrown glasses.

-Brian

Attached Files

#10 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,975 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

-Brin

Glad to see someone else uses a drawing program for planning. Personally, I prefer Corel Draw for this even though I taught adult night classes in Illustrator. Adobe products were too expensive for me in the long run, and I like the measuring and scaling tools in Corel Draw that Illustrator did not have at the time. I find the working with a draw program or even a 3D program allows me to plan things out better than by paper pencil-so easy to play what if.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users