COOL ICE - CONE 6 - PORCELAIN CLAY

Heidi,

I think you should definitely try Frost and let us know what you think. That'll save me the trouble of having to try NZ6.

Jim

I'm due for a trip to Seattle Pottery Supply in the next week or two anyway, so I'll grab a bag to test and compare and keep everyone posted.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this cool ice talk got me thinking can I use this instead of ice in the drink cooler now thats it a June heat wave?Never used cool ice but its got to cold with that name.

Now I need to get some little loafers(size 12-13) to wear.

Mark

All this cool ice talk got me thinking can I use this instead of ice in the drink cooler now thats it a June heat wave?Never used cool ice but its got to cold with that name.

Mark

Mark, you really can. I make whiskey cups with porcelain ice cubes. You keep the porcelain cubes in the freezer and use them like regular ice cubes. It cools your whiskey almost as well as ice cubes and, best of all, it doesn't dilute good whiskey.

Jim

I'm due for a trip to Seattle Pottery Supply in the next week or two anyway, so I'll grab a bag to test and compare and keep everyone posted.

if you go will you see if they have a copy of Joe Finch's book of Kiln Construction? several people want it, sort of since they didn't really DO anything about buying the one i had until i sold it.

[

Mark, you really can. I make whiskey cups with porcelain ice cubes. You keep the porcelain cubes in the freezer and use them like regular ice cubes. It cools your whiskey almost as well as ice cubes and, best of all, it doesn't dilute good whiskey.

Jim

i hope you have fired that porcelain before freezing it. i can just see mark in his sling and big fat loafers dropping wet porcelain blobs in his bear to drink with his abalone.

Mark

Jim

Nice, I never thought to make whiskey stones.

I bought my brother some, a couple years ago, the stone type. Some of the reviews I read, were hilarious. One customer complained, that the stones were horrible, because they used them in one of their kid's drinks. The kid, tipped the glass back, and the stones fell forward and damaged their teeth.

Jim

i hope you have fired that porcelain before freezing it. i can just see mark in his sling and big fat loafers dropping wet porcelain blobs in his bear to drink with his abalone.

Now you almost made me spit my beer on the keyboard laughing! That's quite an image even if I don't know what Mark looks like.

Jim

OK so I'm off to Clayart in Tacoma and Seattle Pottery Supply on Wed to buy porcelain and other bits and bobs. Going to get 3 different kinds,ENGLISH GROLLEG 6, NZ6,and Frost. The grolleg will be my main purchase,500lbs but I will give frost one more try and I'll try NZ6 for the first time. I have decided to give the Cool ice a pass, at $68 for 44lbs. It's a little rich for my blood.

Thanks for all of the info and comments, I will post after I try them all. Then the glaze testing will begin.............. sigh

OK so I'm off to Clayart in Tacoma and Seattle Pottery Supply on Wed to buy porcelain and other bits and bobs. Going to get 3 different kinds,ENGLISH GROLLEG 6, NZ6,and Frost. The grolleg will be my main purchase,500lbs but I will give frost one more try and I'll try NZ6 for the first time. I have decided to give the Cool ice a pass, at $68 for 44lbs. It's a little rich for my blood.

Thanks for all of the info and comments, I will post after I try them all. Then the glaze testing will begin.............. sigh

Give them all a test and let us know what you think. Good choice on Cool Ice. It's good but nothing special and not nearly as translucent as Frost.

Jim

Well, I'm sad to say that Seattle Pottery Supply doesn't have any Frost at the moment, and Claudia who works there said she wasn't sure if they were temporarily out of it or if they're not going to stock it anymore. I broke down and bought one bag of Cool Ice, but man oh man I hope I don't like it. It's over 5 times as expensive as my usual porcelain!

I was there right before closing and they were really busy. I asked if they had Joe Finch's book of kiln construction, but they didn't know offhand and didn't have time to check. Sorry!

Here is a tip for those who just want the bright white color of the more expensive porcelain, but are not overly concerned about translucency.

Use it as a slip.

Yes, make a yogurt thick slip of the expensive porcelain and brush it on the firmed surface of your less white clay..

Leave it alone for a bit since the moisture from the slip will soften the vessel.

I have done this with success on tiles and on outside surfaces of vessels.

Well, I'm sad to say that Seattle Pottery Supply doesn't have any Frost at the moment, and Claudia who works there said she wasn't sure if they were temporarily out of it or if they're not going to stock it anymore. I broke down and bought one bag of Cool Ice, but man oh man I hope I don't like it. It's over 5 times as expensive as my usual porcelain!

I was there right before closing and they were really busy. I asked if they had Joe Finch's book of kiln construction, but they didn't know offhand and didn't have time to check. Sorry!

I think you will be disappointed in Cool Ice. It is Southern Ice formulated for cone 6 but it is not as translucent as Frost. Seattle Pottery Supply is one of the best stocked ceramic supply stores in the country. I even have to sometimes order from them even though shipping from WA to GA is a killer because no one else has what I'm looking for. Unless Laguna stops making Frost, I find it hard to believe SPS plans to stop stocking it. The cone 6 porcelain you use (I forget the name) is the only clay I know of that looks like from the pictures you've posted to be as translucent (or maybe even more translucent--which will turn my world upside down!) as Frost.

Jim

Just back from Seattle and Clay Art in Tacoma. You can get Frost at Clay Art but I was disappointed that I couldn't get NZ6 as they were out of one of the ingredients and couldn't make it angry.gif. It was one of the reasons I went there,... sigh I will now have to order it at a higher price from my local supplier. Will do a shrinkage test for both Frost and the Grolleg next week and then start testing glazes. I so wish I could test NZ6 at the same time, I know I'm officially whining now.

Mark

Jim

Great idea. Do you glaze them?

Jim

Great idea. Do you glaze them?

Diane... No, the porcelain "ice cubes" aren't glazed. I can't put a picture into a post so I have to put them in my profile gallery (and will delete them after a while). Here is a picture of two whiskey cups with cubes: http://ceramicartsda...wimage&img=2705

Jim

How cool is that! Now I am thinking you could make them into the shapes of frogs, fish, octopus.... Why stop at boring cubes?

Jim could make moth balls. Oh wait, that's a different thread.

I don't know. Do you really want someone finishing off a drink to see a frog or a moth's balls in the bottom of his/her cup?

Jim

How cool is that! Now I am thinking you could make them into the shapes of frogs, fish, octopus.... Why stop at boring cubes?

Jim could make moth balls. Oh wait, that's a different thread.

I don't know. Do you really want someone finishing off a drink to see a frog or a moth's balls in the bottom of his/her cup?

Jim

Yes.

Belive it or not frogs in the bottom of drinking vessels are vary popular. I have never made one but have seen many.

I like the fish ice cubes-I think you have something there.

Mark

Yeah, I've seen them, too. But they're not used as ice cubes. They are attached to the bottom of the cup to surprise the drinker. I saw one one that had a fairly realistic-looking spider in the bottom.

Jim

• 1 month later...

I think you will be disappointed in Cool Ice. It is Southern Ice formulated for cone 6 but it is not as translucent as Frost. Seattle Pottery Supply is one of the best stocked ceramic supply stores in the country. I even have to sometimes order from them even though shipping from WA to GA is a killer because no one else has what I'm looking for. Unless Laguna stops making Frost, I find it hard to believe SPS plans to stop stocking it. The cone 6 porcelain you use (I forget the name) is the only clay I know of that looks like from the pictures you've posted to be as translucent (or maybe even more translucent--which will turn my world upside down!) as Frost.

Jim

Jim was correct about my disappointment with Cool Ice. I haven't been back to SPS yet to see if they have Frost back in stock, as I just finally got around to testing the Cool Ice, and got a couple pieces out of the kiln last weekend. Here's a photo of two tumblers, NZ6 on the left and Cool Ice on the right. They're the same thickness, and they're side by side in the same amount of sun, I swear. The difference is stunning.

post-40587-0-75232700-1374872502_thumb.jpgpost-40587-0-32789200-1374872515_thumb.jpg

post-40587-0-75232700-1374872502_thumb.jpg

post-40587-0-32789200-1374872515_thumb.jpg

Archived