What is this Wheel Worth?

Greetings all. I have a potter's wheel in my classroom, that I've been wanting to get rid of all year. It takes up space, and is getting on in age, so it doesn't work as well as the others. I tried to have it put in district storage, but there simply is no space there. So it has sat around the room, messing with the flow of the classroom, and possibly fouling up the feng shui. I am in the process of trying to sell it, and just put the money back in the department, but I need to let, the administration know what, if anything, it is worth. I have no illusions about making a lot of money off of it, but if I can make some, then it's money I didn't have before.

The wheel is an Amaco kick wheel, similar to what is below, only not so shiny and new. The drain valve is pretty locked up, and the bearings seem to be fairly worn, but other than that it works well. As I'm no expert on a wheel's value, especially one that has quite a bit of age on it (I'm fairly certain they brought the wheel in, and built the room around it), so I thought I'd ask the Ceramic Arts Daily Forum Hive Mind....or is it Collective? Thanks all!

floydkemp-atwheel.jpg

I bought the motorized version of this wheel about 20 years ago, used. At that time it had been used by a private girls school, and it lost power so they wanted to get rid of it. I bought it replaced the drive puck, hard to find these days, and still have it in my basement. Price then . . . . . wait for it. . . .$125. I don't know about todays prices, but I sold one(motorized) from the HS about 10 years ago for $100. The HS one had had the motor replaced with a closed specialized motor, more expensive but not likely to die from the dust like the original. I really think that the metal is worth more than either of those prices especially with the size of that heavy(thick) aluminum splash pan.

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. I'd start at $100 so you have room to negotiate.

I used to throw barefoot on a kick wheel, which was probably stupid, but flip-flops seem even more dangerous.

It's a collective. Resistance is futile.....

Afriend of mine has a Brent kick wheel for sale for $100.00. No takers. I looked it up on the internet, on the Brent website, and it is worth $1200.00.

I would say ask $100.00 and see if you get any takers.Maybe you can donate it to a hobby school or leisure centre for a tax receipt.

Good luck.

TJR.

Afriend of mine has a Brent kick wheel for sale for $100.00. No takers. I looked it up on the internet, on the Brent website, and it is worth $1200.00.

It's priced at $1200. It's worth half that.

Agreed. At the list price this is overpriced. The wheel threw well, was not too bad on drive pucks, and was built like a tank. However, considering the values out there in smaller space efficient excellent belt drive wheels for much lower prices, this thing is a dinosaur.

It's priced at $1200. It's worth half that.

Agreed. At the list price this is overpriced. The wheel threw well, was not too bad on drive pucks, and was built like a tank. However, considering the values out there in smaller space efficient excellent belt drive wheels for much lower prices, this thing is a dinosaur.

I bought one about 5-6 years ago for $175. This came from a guy who got it at school auction, so I'm sure he paid less than that for it. I replaced the seat and it's worked great ever since. I'd put $75-$100 on it and see what happens!

Thanks for all the info folks, your estimates, are kind of what I was thinking myself.

Pres, I had a similar wheel, at my first district, with the motor on it, you mentioned. I had to stop using the motor, because it started squealing, like someone was stabbing it. It it apart a bit, and clean it up, and it worked again for a while, but started having the same problem. So I'd agree with you, they don't seem to last long.

I would also agree, with those, who said the Brent kick wheels are overpriced. I've got one, in my current classroom, and it works well (especially as a trimming wheel), but you could get a great electric wheel, for that price, or a good one, for far less.

I like having the kick wheel in the room, for trimming, and just to give the students experience on one.

I've also got a Leach style treadle wheel, as well. I'm not a fan of it though. I wouldn't mind getting rid of that as well. Would the sale price on that, be about the same? With my wheel area being kind of small, I'd love to get rid of the big, space hog, wheels, and get a couple electrics, to replace them.

With my wheel area being kind of small, I'd love to get rid of the big, space hog, wheels,. . . I can relate to that as I had a couple of motorized kick wheels that sat against a wall for a few years. I eventually sold them off, put the money into the adult ceramics account and with some extra bought a new electric. I would thing the Leach treadle wheel would be worth a little more @$50. However, others might be able to steer you better here.

OK i wll give you a hundred bucks ifyou include the guy sitting at it, I can always use a slave..... T

Being kinky?

Wow, someone gave you a negative rating for that comment?

But no, the person is not included. Fairly certain they have laws against the buying and selling of human beings. I mentioned this to Jim, when he was interested in borrowing my human clay pugging machines.

OK i wll give you a hundred bucks ifyou include the guy sitting at it, I can always use a slave..... T

Being kinky?

But no, the person is not included. Fairly certain they have laws against the buying and selling of human beings. I mentioned this to Jim, when he was interested in borrowing my human clay pugging machines.

Hahahaha I just gave it a positive rating...so now we are back to zero.... is there no humour left ?? T

Being kinky?

Hahahaha I just gave it a positive rating...so now we are back to zero.... is there no humour left ?? T

So did I. Now, it's +1. Check out my rating. I'm going where no one has gone before. I'm anxious to see what is below "BAD".

Jim

Being kinky?

So did I. Now, it's +1. Check out my rating. I'm going where no one has gone before. I'm anxious to see what is below "BAD".

Jim

DIRTY DOG comes after BAD, but don't worry you are still at POOR, yes Jim POOR... you will just have to spend more actual time making stuff cause thats where the money apparently is. In the meantime you better just stand in the corner and criticize yourself.... T

Being kinky?

Jim

DIRTY DOG comes after BAD, but don't worry you are still at POOR, yes Jim POOR... you will just have to spend more actual time making stuff cause thats where the money apparently is. In the meantime you better just stand in the corner and criticize yourself.... T

Somebody hit a plus. I was at -20 this morning which is "BAD".

Jim

Being kinky?

Jim

Somebody hit a plus. I was at -20 this morning which is "BAD".

Jim

Good Lord! I'm starting to think, you are giving yourself negative ratings, and recruiting others, to do the same. Either that, or your fan club?, anti-fan club?, passive/ aggressive secret admirers, are still sniping at you, from comments you made weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived