Extraction For Spraying Glaze

I have bought a paint spray to use as a glaze spray but can't afford a spray booth with extraction. Apart from using it outside on a still day, in a large box perhaps lined with newspaper, and obviously wearing all of the necessary protection (esp filtration mask) does anyone have any hints about extracting the fine spray that doesn't reach the piece to be glazed?

I have bought a paint spray to use as a glaze spray but can't afford a spray booth with extraction. Apart from using it outside on a still day, in a large box perhaps lined with newspaper, and obviously wearing all of the necessary protection (esp filtration mask) does anyone have any hints about extracting the fine spray that doesn't reach the piece to be glazed?

Nannyflun,

Attached please find an Autocad Drawing with the details of a dry DIY spray booth. To open the ACAD drawing download the free Autodesk program "dwg true view 2010", that will allow you to see and print the drawing.

I can send you a plan for a wet spray booth where a water curtain cleans and retains the excess spray. but it is more complicated. If you abble with your hands, let me know and I will make a sketch of the other one. Feel free to give this design to anybody interested.

Best Regards. Eduardo

P.S. Refusal of attaching a dwg drawing. Replaced it with a jpeg copy. Very unclear. If you cannot read it please let me know and i will send it by email.

post-1388-12704081061382_thumb.jpg

post-1388-12704081061382_thumb.jpg

Nannyflun,

I have made two spraybooths recently and have a very good source for a simple extraction fan. Find a Sheetmetal company in your area and locate their shop. Find a large company if you can because they will have more fans available. They are regularily doing changes to office HVAC systems that requires replacing old fans. These fans come in many sizes and come boxed in and ready to attach to whatever you are using for your booth. I used a cardboard box for my first booth with a fan that measured about 12" x 12" These are a squirrel-cage type fan and are very efficient. The company I go to throws the old fans away and they work just great. I find them sitting out by their garbage area and a visit to the shop office usually gets an enthusiastic offer to help myself. All that is needed after that is a cheap furnace filter from your local hardware store and you are in buisiness.

My new booth I actually had the same sheetmetal company build me the booth and it was quite cheap. They used 24 gauge galvanized and it was about about 30'x30"x30" open on one side. Then I waited until the right fan came along cut the hole to suit the fan and I was good to go.

Works great.

Bill

Thank you to Eduardo, royjulian, and bill r for your really helpful advice. I'm going to get my husband to look at the replies (it'll probably be him that sets it up for me!) and see which he thinks is most feasible. I am continually struck by the generosity of the ceramic community - it's something my husband has commented on too. I only 're-discovered' this wonderful material about 5 years ago, (mud pies as a child was the last time previously!) and set up my studio workshop in 2008 - if only I'd known years ago how wonderful it is! Many thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are lots of good suggestions. When I was in school ages ago, one suggestion was find a used dryer with the heating elements burnt out and still has the exhaust in tact. Gut what you can, cut off the front and the fan/vent should be in the back. Clean up sharp edges. The blower should run on 120V.

Archived