What aspect of clay work is the most frustrating? | May 28, 2013

What aspect of clay work do you find the most frustrating?

I enjoyed hearing the responses to last week's question of the week. This time, I'd like to hear about the not-so-great parts. I'll start it off with saying that getting the correct timing and flow in the studio is sometimes the bane of my existence. Sometimes it's from developing new work and it's just a matter of figuring it out. Sometimes it may be due to working in a new studio or even adjusting to the change in seasons. But sometimes, it's just the fact that life gets in the way. I can bet we all know that sinking feeling when we realize the clay is ready and we are not... and we know that the clay usually wins that battle!

I'am frustrated when I have to wedge and knead a great amount of clay and I can't because Mr. Rheumatism is visiting angry.gif

And every time I have a kiln load and start firing, after a few hours I want to open the door just a little bit to see how it's progressing... Patience is a virtue? Ah well....

My Birthday wish will be a glass kiln laugh.gif

Evelyne

I agree with Diane and Marcia but most of my frustration comes from glazing. There aren't a lot of glazes I like--because I like matte and because using commercial glazes there aren't a lot of choices. Most of my sculpture is fired without a glaze. The only happy time is when I'm working with raku--serendipity makes my heart sing.

Shirley

Glazing - I work with commercial glazes that I buy dry and mix with water, easy right? It's to thick, or thin, or I had to change clays, now it doesn't fit. Testing combinations, testing stains, ugh!! It is way too much like cooking, and I hate cooking.

Guest JBaymore

• 6 months later...

Glazing is one of the things I like best.

For me the worst is winter as I have to dry all work with a heater which makes it harder. I must move stuff it seems like hourly to different drying levels

I like the months I can dry work outside it faster and easier.

Mark

At this time of year, it's waiting for pots to dry: if I throw a pot on a Monday and just leave it uncovered on a p/b bat in my studio garage it might be dry enough for trimming by the next Monday or it might still be a bit too wet.

I took some to my last evening class for this term on Thursday evening, they had been thrown the previous Saturday but with nothing else in the pipeline  turning these was the best use of the time, I packed them in a large box full of packing peanuts, they turned OK (I'm used to doing things a bit wetter than is ideal) re-packed in the peanuts for the trip home and they all have some small indentations in the foot from the peanuts.

Trying to sort out which spray gun to go with the small compressor I just acquired is also proving to be quite frustrating.

At this time of year, it's waiting for pots to dry: if I throw a pot on a Monday and just leave it uncovered on a p/b bat in my studio garage it might be dry enough for trimming by the next Monday or it might still be a bit too wet.

I took some to my last evening class for this term on Thursday evening, they had been thrown the previous Saturday but with nothing else in the pipeline  turning these was the best use of the time, I packed them in a large box full of packing peanuts, they turned OK (I'm used to doing things a bit wetter than is ideal) re-packed in the peanuts for the trip home and they all have some small indentations in the foot from the peanuts.

Trying to sort out which spray gun to go with the small compressor I just acquired is also proving to be quite frustrating.

Opposite here, Started throwing around 1 pm, noticed around 4pm that the first bowls were leather hard and drying fast, 35 C Degs. outside, hotter in shed. Quick change of process, not days for throwing platters and plates! Pottery, its all unpredictable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived