#41 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

Nelly;
Sometimes we are FORCED to break out of our rut. I have made some jumps in my work, e.g., moving out of stoneware and into earthenware, and then Majolica. This last winter, I decided to only do hand building, after the rush of Christmas. I made a couple of plaster press molds, and was even considering slip casting. I made a series of coil built planters from my mold-one a day. I also made some Styrofoam press molds, and I really liked the results of the slab trays. I incorporated all the "happy accidents" of mark making. Each one became a little painting. I priced them accordingly.I sold quite a few at my spring sale. Now I am back throwing, but I have a whole new dimension to my work.
The weather has been so gorgeous, I am outside, watering my tomatoes. Back on the wheel soon.
TJR.

Interesting post. How do styrofoam press molds work? Got pictures?

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#42 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

I'm certainly no professional potter- I have only been throwing for a little over a year. But I rarely use a bat and don't do "production pieces". I try to make my smaller pieces and lift them off right away. The larger ones that i am afraid of warping sit overnight on the wheel and then get removed. Usually when they warp all i have to do is run a finger along the rim of the piece to pop it back into place. I also saw a video from simon leach where he used a piece of newspaper on the rim before lifting it to keep it's shape. I tried this and it seems to help, (but I never remember to do it)

I think potters develop a few key pieces they are good at producing fairly quickly and then experiment with more fun pieces. (at least that is what I am attempting to do) There is a lady who owns a yarn shop that wants to carry my yarn bowls. (i crochet and belong to their knitting club) I am trying to make a bunch but it's not easy.

I see a lot of people making knitting bowls. I honestly didn't know there were that many people, who were into knitting.

Benzine;
I just want you to know that I don't make knitting bowls.
TJR.

Ha! No demand for those, in the Great North?

Nothing against the bowls, or knitting, it just seems there are a lot of people making them, as of late.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#43 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm certainly no professional potter- I have only been throwing for a little over a year. But I rarely use a bat and don't do "production pieces". I try to make my smaller pieces and lift them off right away. The larger ones that i am afraid of warping sit overnight on the wheel and then get removed. Usually when they warp all i have to do is run a finger along the rim of the piece to pop it back into place. I also saw a video from simon leach where he used a piece of newspaper on the rim before lifting it to keep it's shape. I tried this and it seems to help, (but I never remember to do it)

I think potters develop a few key pieces they are good at producing fairly quickly and then experiment with more fun pieces. (at least that is what I am attempting to do) There is a lady who owns a yarn shop that wants to carry my yarn bowls. (i crochet and belong to their knitting club) I am trying to make a bunch but it's not easy.

I see a lot of people making knitting bowls. I honestly didn't know there were that many people, who were into knitting.

Benzine;
TJR.

Nothing against the bowls, or knitting, it just seems there are a lot of people making them, as of late.

Benzine;
Maybe that came off a bit sarcastic. I am working on that.I haven't seen many knitting bowls up here in the Great White North. People do knit here.
TJR.

#44 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Benzine;
TJR.

Benzine;
Maybe that came off a bit sarcastic. I am working on that.I haven't seen many knitting bowls up here in the Great White North. People do knit here.
TJR.

TJR, I didn't read your post as sarcastic at all, just making light of the apparent fact that those knitting bowls are everywhere, except it seems, Canada. I just figured it was because all of your clothing and blankets were made from the animal pelts, you Canadians hunt daily.

#45 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Benzine;
I am trying to think of a cultural stereotype for you guys. This is a bit dangerous as I am in the minority. When I was on a teacher exchange to Australia, They signed me up for the Grade 10 canoe trip. They never even asked me if I knew how to canoe! Of course we paddle our canoes to work everyday, just like the Ausies ride kangaroos to work. I did actually hit a wallaby on the way to work one day.[with my car,not with a club]
I guess the obvious one would be that all Americans carry at least one gun.I don't actually own a gun,but I own a fishing rod.
TJR.

#46 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Benzine;
I am trying to think of a cultural stereotype for you guys. This is a bit dangerous as I am in the minority. When I was on a teacher exchange to Australia, They signed me up for the Grade 10 canoe trip. They never even asked me if I knew how to canoe! Of course we paddle our canoes to work everyday, just like the Ausies ride kangaroos to work. I did actually hit a wallaby on the way to work one day.[with my car,not with a club]
I guess the obvious one would be that all Americans carry at least one gun.I don't actually own a gun,but I own a fishing rod.
TJR.

Oh oh, I do live in Canada and own a canoe.... don't wear a toque or play hockey though. I sold a number of knitting bowls on the weekend, ladies knitting throws for their igloos I guess.

Min

#47 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Benzine;
TJR.

Oh oh, I do live in Canada and own a canoe.... don't wear a toque or play hockey though. I sold a number of knitting bowls on the weekend, ladies knitting throws for their igloos I guess.

Min

Min;
O.k. Now you are saying that it's just me and that Canadian potters do make knitting bowls.
I do own a canoe, and several toques,also snowshoes and skiis.
TJR.

#48 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

Benzine;
TJR.

I actually do "officially" own a gun, for hunting, though I never really used it much, so it's basically my Dad's now. Beyond that, you could comment on the American diet, our addiction/ dependency to technology, or just our general apathy to anything that doesn't directly concern us.

#49 Matt Oz

Matt Oz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

I live in Michigan and speak fluent Canadian because I grew up on: Mr. Dressup, The Friendly Giant and the Beachcombers (Channel 9), I often trade beaver pelts, duct tape and the occasional pasty with them. -not pastie

Has this topic gone askew....By the way, type askew into the Google homepage and watch what happens.

#50 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,456 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Has this topic gone askew....By the way, type askew into the Google homepage and watch what happens.

I didn't get the tilt. Posted Image
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#51 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

.By the way, type askew into the Google homepage and watch what happens.

Ha! People at Google have a real sense of humor!

#52 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

That's cool. I wonder if they do that with other words. I tried a few like crooked but they were normal.

Jim
E pur si muove.

#53 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

That's cool. I wonder if they do that with other words. I tried a few like crooked but they were normal.

Jim

If you type "OffCenter" into Google, it starts belittling splash pans.

#54 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

Just to get this back on track-If I spend endless hours and days working on one piece can I charge a few grand so I can get paid for my time?
I wonder what I really can charge folks if I hype up the whole experience and advertise in Forbes. Maybe the perceived value will be astronomical if I fake my death.What are the ways to gouge people for more money?
No I feel all that may be unethical and I should just make great pots for everyman at reasonable prices like I have done for 40 years.Pots that can be used every day and if broken oh well get another one from me. Now thats a concept with roots.
Google pottery for everyman and see what comes up?
All of our topics go askew I think they are like a heard of cows in a lighting storm and need rounding up afterward and for Offcenter its a heard of goats with a few Lamas tossed in -much harder to round up them doggies.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#55 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,456 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

best,

..........................john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#56 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Jim

Thanks for starting my day with a laugh, Benzine. I hope you never catch the student that put pupils in your avatar's eyes.

Jim
E pur si muove.

#57 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Jim

Thanks for starting my day with a laugh, Benzine. I hope you never catch the student that put pupils in your avatar's eyes.

Jim

Muhahaha! I probably never will catch the guilty party, unless someone's conscience gets the best of them.....Keep in mind, I deal with today's youth, so odds of that happening are pretty low.

#58 vervain

vervain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

off topic again, but type "do a barrel roll" into Google. ;)

#59 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

That's okay. The best stuff is off topic. Thanks for "Do a barrel roll".

Jim
E pur si muove.

#60 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

That's okay. The best stuff is off topic. Thanks for "Do a barrel roll".

Jim

There are several others, but they don't seem to work anymore. You used to be able to type in "Gravity" and everything would fall to the bottom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users