Homemade Griffin Grip

Some people are dead set against them and think no one should have them.

I guess I missed the post that leads you to think someone doesn't think anyone should have them. I just pointed out that for me the Griffin Grip is one of the most useless tools I've ever bought. If it makes someone considering buying a GG think twice about it, then good. I also told that same person: "If you buy one, you will probably be very happy with it." I express the same opinion about splash pans. Fortunately, the GG doesn't come with most wheels like the splash pan does (meaning that you have to pay for it, even if you toss it.) Believe it or not here is another tool that in my ever so very humble opinion is even more worthless than splash pans and Griffin Grips, but you might just love it: http://www.sheffield...Tool-p/aqc.htm.

Jim

I guess you missed the following sentence where she specifically said: "I'm not saying anyone here has said that."

ok jimbo, ok ;)

I guess I missed the post that leads you to think someone doesn't think anyone should have them. I just pointed out that for me the Griffin Grip is one of the most useless tools I've ever bought. If it makes someone considering buying a GG think twice about it, then good. I also told that same person: "If you buy one, you will probably be very happy with it." I express the same opinion about splash pans. Fortunately, the GG doesn't come with most wheels like the splash pan does (meaning that you have to pay for it, even if you toss it.) Believe it or not here is another tool that in my ever so very humble opinion is even more worthless than splash pans and Griffin Grips, but you might just love it: http://www.sheffield...Tool-p/aqc.htm.

Jim

Oh gad... those things are awful.

So much of the success of a good throw stems from the centering process...

Jim

I guess you missed the following sentence where she specifically said: "I'm not saying anyone here has said that."

I guess you missed the following sentence where I specifically said: "I guess I missed the post that leads you to think someone doesn't think anyone should have them."

Jim

I'm sorry if you bought a GG and don't like it. That would be disappointing. I haven't been on here long and don't know that anyone here has ever said anything to the effect that no one should have a GG. I was on the probably more famous clay discussion "list" for a few years and there were discussions on this at various times. I have a vague recollection of some people there being "dead set against them" and not seeming to like the idea that they even exist. But that was probably a bit of an extrapolation, for which I apologize. I do think that more people try to talk others out of using them than try to talk anyone into using one. Not anyone here, specifically.

Now, I will check out the even more useless tool that you have posted a link to!

Jim

Oh gad... those things are awful.

So much of the success of a good throw stems from the centering process...

I took a quick look at the "quick centering tool" and would have to agree! "Training wheels for centering"? Gad is right!

Anyone remember the Giffin "trimming stations", or do those still exist? I don't remember seeing ads for them lately, but then I don't see a lot... It was rather expensive, as I remember, and was a to place stand at and use your GG with plenty of room to catch the trimmings and not make a mess. There must have been a motorized wheel involved? A foggy recollection; may have been more to it. Seemed to me it would make more sense just to design a special catch pan to fix to one's wheel to catch the trimmings. For years, I have used a taken-apart clay box fashioned into a trim catcher.

Jim

I guess you missed the following sentence where I specifically said: "I guess I missed the post that leads you to think someone doesn't think anyone should have them."

Jim

I'm sorry if you bought a GG and don't like it. That would be disappointing. I haven't been on here long and don't know that anyone here has ever said anything to the effect that no one should have a GG. I was on the probably more famous clay discussion "list" for a few years and there were discussions on this at various times. I have a vague recollection of some people there being "dead set against them" and not seeming to like the idea that they even exist. But that was probably a bit of an extrapolation, for which I apologize. I do think that more people try to talk others out of using them than try to talk anyone into using one. Not anyone here, specifically.

Now, I will check out the even more useless tool that you have posted a link to!

I wasn't really upset about buying a GG. I bought it when it first came out. I thought you were referring to me since I complain about GGs and splash pans a good bit here, partly just for fun. Welcome to the forum.

Jim

Jim

Jim

I wasn't really upset about buying a GG. I bought it when it first came out. I thought you were referring to me since I complain about GGs and splash pans a good bit here, partly just for fun. Welcome to the forum.

Jim

Nope, not referring to you and wanted to make sure no one thought I was, which is why I referred to another clay group where I'd read even more negative comments about the GG. So you have one of those old particle board models, eh? I'm old enough to remember those. The two I've bought are both the hard plastic... I think the first wore out partly because I used it to sand bisque with emery paper and the particles got into the grooves and eroded it. So now, that's what I use it for, since it has a lot of play in it. Yes, both GGs and splash pans can be annoying! But I use both. Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here.

I know we've been through this a million times, but tapping center is the way to go. But it does require practice. If you can't do it, then I think you should learn how before you buy a Giffin Grip. Then you'll know if you really need one. I tap center, then simply hold the pot in place with pressure from my left hand. A Snapple lid distributes the pressure so I don't push through the bottom of the pot. It took a lot of practice to get good at this. It's fast and simple, and I can do it anywhere I go without hauling around a GG.

I tap center, then simply hold the pot in place with pressure from my left hand. A Snapple lid distributes the pressure so I don't push through the bottom of the pot. It took a lot of practice to get good at this.

Actually, it does not even require any practice, if you do it the way I do:

I center the vessel on the wheel as much as I can do it visually, then I take a toothpick and mark a circle on the bottom of the vessel.

It allows me to see clearly what direction and where I should tap it. (I don't even tap! I slightly move it)

Very easy!

I like how this began as a discussion about the possibility of making a tool, and devolved into a giffin grip bashing party. I don't own one, and I don't care if you do or dont, but why is it so hard to stay on topic here....?

I think we are still on topic for the most part. We are discussing whether or not a Giffin Grip is worth making, or buying, or not necessary at all. It may be that they really do want/need one, but we're exploring all sides of the issue. Just trying to keep the people from wasting time and money if such a tool is not really necessary for them.

I like how this began as a discussion about the possibility of making a tool, and devolved into a giffin grip bashing party. I don't own one, and I don't care if you do or dont, but why is it so hard to stay on topic here....?

I think we are still on topic for the most part. We are discussing whether or not a Giffin Grip is worth making, or buying, or not necessary at all. It may be that they really do want/need one, but we're exploring all sides of the issue. Just trying to keep the people from wasting time and money if such a tool is not really necessary for them.

Oh ok, sorry I thought that OP said s/he had already said s/he used/liked the tool and just wanted information about making them.

• 3 years later...

I didn't read all the post in this thread.

In the woodturning world a griffen grip is called a Longworth chuck and many turners make it themselves

Here is a link for a DIY

http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheLongworth.htm

The only real difference would be the way its mounted. For a potters wheel one would need to two opposing holes 10" apart. A bat could be use as a template.

Archived