#41 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

I love these glazes. At Potters Council, Amaco gave out sheets showing samples of combos, similar to their ads but at lot more of them. I don't know where else you can get them, but they are great to have in the studio for reference.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#42 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

This is deep firebrick with 2 thick coats of ancient jasper over it. 

Attached Files

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

#43 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

I love these glazes. At Potters Council, Amaco gave out sheets showing samples of combos, similar to their ads but at lot more of them. I don't know where else you can get them, but they are great to have in the studio for reference.

It would be very handy to have that! 

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

#44 Mudslayer

Mudslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I LOVEPC glazes...my only suggestion is to fast fire at cone 5...I usually layer my gazes and ancient Harper is one of my favorites...here r a few pics if someone an tell me how to upload from kindle...if not I can attach a URL....

#45 frand2

frand2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

I am really new to this forum (since 15 min. ago) and just happened onto this subject.  I am a fan of Potters Choice glazes and have had good luck with all except Ancient Jasper by applying 3 good coats and firing to a cone 5 in my digitally-controlled kiln and holding for 1 hour.  The only good results that I have had in layering PC glazes is by putting on a good base layer and using a split fan brush with strokes in different directions leaving gaps or open spaces for the base color to "peep" through (3 layers for the covering layer).  I have really enjoyed your comments and do feel connected.

#46 potteria

potteria

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

Has anyone found that you need a hold built in for glaze firing Potter's Choice glazes? I'm planning on slow firing to ^6 but unsure whether or not to include a hold. As with anything, it'll come down to testing, but since this was my first go with PC glazes I figured I'd ask around to see if there was any common starting point.

#47 janiebgood

janiebgood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:32 PM

I also use Potters Choice glazes and found a wonderful board for PC glazes on Facebook.  Very helpful info for those of us who do not mix our own glazes.  Lots of photos and encouragement.

#48 Marc McMillan

Marc McMillan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationDublin, ca

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

I've used them with success. They dog go one like a dream. I love the Albany slip brown over texture. Tenmoku works well. Seaweed needs a thick coat and can look awesome. I've pretty much stopped using Ancient Jasper. It just doesn't work for me no matter how thick.

I fire them all to cone 5 with a 15 minute hold.

Good luck!

Marc

#49 Clairenh

Clairenh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationManchester, New Hampshire

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:09 PM

I read this forum the other day as I just bought some Potter's Choice glazes and wanted to see if there was any information or pictures of them on any clay other than white. I found nothing. Contrary to good sense, I glazed several pieces of finished work that I plan to sell with the new glazes, completely skipping the test tile process. I had some pretty happy results and I thought I would share what I learned in the process:

Glazes bought by the gallon in liquid form: Potter's Choice  PC - 25 Textured Turquoise, PC - 53 Ancient Jasper  and PC - 43 Toasted Sage

What I did to the glaze and how I applied them: There is no way I was going to brush glazes on, so I found information on a forum that suggested mixing an entire gallon of water into each gallon of glaze. I did that, but added it slowly, and checking the thickness of the glaze after each mixing. It ended up being pretty much a gallon of water for each gallon of glaze. The bonus is I now have twice as much glaze for the money I spent!

What I fired it in: Paragon Dragon 24 electric kiln. Though the PC directions say to bisque to 04 and brush several coats on, I did my usual bisque for dipping and pouring, cone 06. The glaze fire was cone 6. 

What clay I used:

Laguna 66 white with sand

Laguna 80 Medium Brown

Standard 266 dark brown (I just saw a post about bloating of this clay, which I have had some issues with in large, 1/2" slab constructions, and there were a few tiny bloats in some of the pieces pictured below, but nothing I find too distracting)

I read a lot of posts about having problems getting Ancient Jasper to look right. The first photo shows Ancient Jasper on Laguna 66. Kind of ... meh.  

The second photo show Ancient Jasper on Laguna 80   - Wow!! Same application, same firing, way better results. I did a 6 second dip for both.  Attached File  AJonWht.jpg   20.79KB   2 downloadsAttached File  AJonMBrn.jpg   38.92KB   0 downloads

The other glaze I was happier with on non white clay was the Textured Turquoise. It was nice on stamped cups made with white clay, and ok on horizontal texture. It was, however, spectacular on medium brown clay, horizontal texture. 

Attached File  TurqoOnWht.jpg   26.23KB   3 downloadsAttached File  TurqOnMdBrn.jpg   18.35KB   0 downloads

Another happy discovery was the Toasted Sage on Standard 266. On white clay it was OK - if you like beige and pale pink.

Attached File  SageOnWht.jpg   21.5KB   3 downloads

On the dark brown clay it was matte and very interesting texture:

Attached File  PC toasted Sage on Standard 266.jpg   23.83KB   2 downloads

I realize that for a company to make color charts for glazes for more than one type of clay is a chore, but it would be really nice to have an idea of what they would look like on brown or dark brown clay. 

In the meantime, I will keep experimenting on my own :-)

#50 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

It's interesting that this thread popped up again today. I just spent the day brushing and pouring Potters Choice Blue Rutile, Temmoku, Oatmeal and Lustrous Jade on Sheffield stoneware. This was my first experience with these glazes and will be my first glaze firing with this clay. I'm planning on using the cone 6 slow glaze program and I'll post the results when finished.

Paul

#51 Clairenh

Clairenh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationManchester, New Hampshire

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

I forgot to mention that I fired to Cone 6 with a 15 minute hold.

#52 art teacher lady

art teacher lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:38 PM

How much of a space are you leaving at the bottom of your pieces to accommodate any running?

#53 cloudhutworks

cloudhutworks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWoodinville, WA

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

I a long time lurker here, never posted before but can answer the art teacher lady's question about PC glazes since I tried them this fall. They behave different, and while testing I broke the whole set of PC glazes I have got into categories of "base coat" and "second layer". For example, the blue rutile or sea weed glazes are quite runny and not so pretty on their own, I am using them as on top of some other glaze and leave 3/4 inch of space and/or have a groove close to the foot to stop them. While red firebrick or deep olive (not sure about exact name?) stay in pretty much in place, same for Amaco Celadons, I can be pretty bold with them :)

#54 Crusty

Crusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLouisville,Ky in the Ohio river valley

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

This thread just wont die...

PC is some fun glaze to experiment with.. It gets real fun when layering with other companies glazes...

If your PC glazes have batch numbers on them, you have the newer glaze.. If it does not have them you may want to buy some amaco gum to add to your blues when layering. nothing to do with color , it just helps them "stick" better...

Celadons can hang better than Michael Jordon.. I have poured it on the inside of bowls really thick and the color just deepens... I actually like the Celadons better..

I like to throw red clay, it balls nicely and hurts like hell when it hits you...

#55 GiselleNo5

GiselleNo5

Clay Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, California

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:04 AM

This one is glazed in smokey merlot I think it's called, I'll go look and update that if I'm wrong, I have four coats on this the three coated tile test was muddy
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That is SO CRAZY (sorry, responding years later) but my Smoky Merlot looks totally different!

sml_gallery_67168_947_517216.jpg

I agree with everyone who says 4-5 coats with Potter's Choice. Less and they look ugly and muddy. I have had only one of their glazes (Arctic Blue) bubble a little bit because of too thick an application. Otherwise it's almost impossible to put on too much. 

Does anybody dip these glazes? I'm thinking of switching over a few of my glazes to Potter's Choice and I'd like to know how they are to dip, what is the minimum quantity, etc. 

The Potter's Choice glazes I have currently or have used in the past (many of these can be seen in my gallery): 

Arctic Blue

Very pretty icy blue but put it on too thin and it turns a very unattractive yellow-brown. It is very nice layered over other glazes, and if applied thickly it runs a little bit. I've never had it run off a piece but I got some interesting movement around texture. 

Oatmeal

Lovely vanilla ice cream color but put it on too thin and it's the color of moldy straw. This one is a definite 4-5 coat glaze.

Smoky Merlot

This one actually just turns darker when applied thinner, more of a wine or burgundy. It's not the color I'm looking for but it's still a really nice color. At 4-5 coats you get a gorgeous light purple float with undertones of deep wine and a lovely chocolate brown break over texture. This is one of my favorite glazes. 

Deep Sienna Speckle

Deep Olive Speckle

These two, you have to be extra sure to mix WELL before each use. I apply 4 coats and sometimes I mix between coats. There are tiny little crystals suspended in the glaze that give it the brown speckles, and you want them to be evenly applied. This one doesn't seem to move at all. 

Blue Midnight/Seaweed (2 coats Blue Midnight under 1 coat Seawead = gorgeous!) The Seaweed can be a bit runny.

I've also seen a lot of their Celadon glazes in use. They're very beautiful but I like opaque or semi opaque glazes, so they're not for me.

I create order from chaos. And also, chaos from order.

https://www.giselleno5ceramics.com/

GiselleNo5.etsy.com

YouTube-logo-full_color.png?resize=50%2C  fb_logo.png  instahack.png?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users