Sign in to follow this  
Claypple

Amaco "Potter's choice" glazes

I a long time lurker here, never posted before but can answer the art teacher lady's question about PC glazes since I tried them this fall. They behave different, and while testing I broke the whole set of PC glazes I have got into categories of "base coat" and "second layer". For example, the blue rutile or sea weed glazes are quite runny and not so pretty on their own, I am using them as on top of some other glaze and leave 3/4 inch of space and/or have a groove close to the foot to stop them. While red firebrick or deep olive (not sure about exact name?) stay in pretty much in place, same for Amaco Celadons, I can be pretty bold with them :)

This thread just wont die...

PC is some fun glaze to experiment with.. It gets real fun when layering with other companies glazes...

If your PC glazes have batch numbers on them, you have the newer glaze.. If it does not have them you may want to buy some amaco gum to add to your blues when layering. nothing to do with color , it just helps them "stick" better...

Celadons can hang better than Michael Jordon.. I have poured it on the inside of bowls really thick and the color just deepens... I actually like the Celadons better..

This one is glazed in smokey merlot I think it's called, I'll go look and update that if I'm wrong, I have four coats on this the three coated tile test was muddy

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That is SO CRAZY (sorry, responding years later) but my Smoky Merlot looks totally different!

sml_gallery_67168_947_517216.jpg

I agree with everyone who says 4-5 coats with Potter's Choice. Less and they look ugly and muddy. I have had only one of their glazes (Arctic Blue) bubble a little bit because of too thick an application. Otherwise it's almost impossible to put on too much. 

Does anybody dip these glazes? I'm thinking of switching over a few of my glazes to Potter's Choice and I'd like to know how they are to dip, what is the minimum quantity, etc. 

The Potter's Choice glazes I have currently or have used in the past (many of these can be seen in my gallery): 

Arctic Blue

Very pretty icy blue but put it on too thin and it turns a very unattractive yellow-brown. It is very nice layered over other glazes, and if applied thickly it runs a little bit. I've never had it run off a piece but I got some interesting movement around texture. 

Oatmeal

Lovely vanilla ice cream color but put it on too thin and it's the color of moldy straw. This one is a definite 4-5 coat glaze.

Smoky Merlot

This one actually just turns darker when applied thinner, more of a wine or burgundy. It's not the color I'm looking for but it's still a really nice color. At 4-5 coats you get a gorgeous light purple float with undertones of deep wine and a lovely chocolate brown break over texture. This is one of my favorite glazes. 

Deep Sienna Speckle

Deep Olive Speckle

These two, you have to be extra sure to mix WELL before each use. I apply 4 coats and sometimes I mix between coats. There are tiny little crystals suspended in the glaze that give it the brown speckles, and you want them to be evenly applied. This one doesn't seem to move at all. 

Blue Midnight/Seaweed (2 coats Blue Midnight under 1 coat Seawead = gorgeous!) The Seaweed can be a bit runny.

I've also seen a lot of their Celadon glazes in use. They're very beautiful but I like opaque or semi opaque glazes, so they're not for me.