Before and After a Glaze fire

Heres the glaze load going in on Monday

and what it looks like coming out on a Thursday

This ones heading to my Mendocino Gallery after its packed up-I'm taking it so packing will be light.

I need another load to fill the order.

Mark

post-8914-136933697989_thumb.jpg

post-8914-13693369934_thumb.jpg

post-8914-136933697989_thumb.jpg

post-8914-13693369934_thumb.jpg

The stuff looks great, and not to sound negative, but there was a quarter inch of space between some of those, where you could have put some more items......hehe.

I leaned long ago its a paper thickness apart that matters and thats all I have when loading a glaze. When making pottery for living more per space is always better. I do need a few more stuffers-only 120 sponge holders in this load.

Mark

The stuff looks great, and not to sound negative, but there was a quarter inch of space between some of those, where you could have put some more items......hehe.

I leaned long ago its a paper thickness apart that matters and thats all I have when loading a glaze. When making pottery for living more per space is always better. I do need a few more stuffers-only 120 sponge holders in this load.

Mark

Dear All,

Thank you for posting those pictures. You know, when I see how closely you have placed your work, I am blown away. For me, I am still at the stage where I think about breathing of the glaze or movement onto another pot if placed too closely.

But I also think...what kind of extra brain skills does an artist who can see in this type of proximity have that allows him to do this with such precision. Yes, part of me knows it does have to do with experience but I have to wonder if there is not more to it??

Knowledge of space, angles, proximity to elements or fire source, placement vis-a-vis the next shelf etc...I could go on and on..

I have to wonder, at the end of the day, what kind of game of billiards would someone with these skills play??

You'd think they would have some extra talent given this ability to see in such a context?? Can we say it is a talent??

Nelly

Archived