Proportions

Here's another image (by the way- I'll be back from Ecuador on the 30th, and will actually fire some of these things).

I've done minimal slab work, so this was a bit of a stretch for me... but I wanted to build a table-side box lantern. People may have noticed that I've been on a 'thrown doughnut' binge of late... thus the handles and the base.

My one initial thought on this one is that the handle should have mirrored the base a bit more...

4721732.png?489

I think I like this one the best! Please post a picture after you glaze and fire!

Here's another image (by the way- I'll be back from Ecuador on the 30th, and will actually fire some of these things).

I've done minimal slab work, so this was a bit of a stretch for me... but I wanted to build a table-side box lantern. People may have noticed that I've been on a 'thrown doughnut' binge of late... thus the handles and the base.

My one initial thought on this one is that the handle should have mirrored the base a bit more...

4721732.png?489

• 1 month later...

OK... so this one is less of a 'proportions' question and more of a 'design' question... but I thought I'd post it here rather than making a new thread.

I make water features- usually with a basal pedestal (cone six) and a raku upper vessel. The pump sits in the pedestal and sends water into the upper vessel. See example in my gallery.

I recently lost a sale because a potential buyer thought the piece 'didn't sound enough like a mountain brook'. Honestly- I know what she meant. When water falls in a single stream (as it does in the fountain in the image above), it sound more like a drinking fountain than like something natural.

In thinking of alternatives- I decided to try making an upper vessel that was shaped something like a mill wheel- with flanges inside the rim. The water would (hopefully) burble from flange to flange.

These proved to be challenging to make, however. I threw three pieces (Two shallow bowls and an inner disc), slipped/scored the components (using magic water) and joined them. See photo essay below. Jim- if you read this, please ignore the Giffin!

Photo_essay_zps20554410.jpg

Unfortunately, the structure made it hard to join the components as firmly as I usually do (couldn't really push without warping the structure). Both of the ones I made cracked at the seams during yesterdays Raku firing.

Anyhow, I was curious as to whether anyone had thoughts on A) making this partcular form... but in a more robust fashion, and B) alternate ways to achieve the 'babbling brook' sound in a smaller indoor water feature.

The sound you are looking for is from mulitiple streams of different sizes so make and edge that has different size escapes(notches) so the water flows fast and slower at same time.

Mark

Yeah- that makes sense- probably why you see so many of those vertical water features with the corrugated texture. This is part of why the 'mill wheel' shape was intriguing- inherently forces the water to move in complex patterns.

Part of my challenge lies with trying to get a bigger sound out of a 16' high assemblage. There are physical limits in terms of the fall distance. I've tried to surmount some of this by having a curved basin (echo chamber)

turbulence!

can you make or place something in catch basin  that will make sounds,   light weight ceramic pebbles?, hydroton? it will a least increase the splash quality

different sized holes in inserts some concex some concave

tell that customer to by some water front property, buy him a cd of a babbling brook

you didnt lose a sale,  the piece will go to a better owner

turbulence!

can you make or place something in catch basin  that will make sounds,   light weight ceramic pebbles?, hydroton? it will a least increase the splash quality

tell that customer to by some water front property, buy him a cd of a babbling brook

The pebble idea is actually somethig I've played with- maybe a use for some of those ceramic shards I'm going to generate using a tumbler.

I agree on general principles about the customer's attitude... except that I tend to agree with her critique. Trying to enhance the sonic quality of these things is something that's interested me for sometime.

On another note- I've been cranking some raku lately, and some of the pieces I posted in raw form are finished. Here's one of them...

IMG_2073_zps75f78ab6.jpg

turbulence!

The pebble idea is actually somethig I've played with- maybe a use for some of those ceramic shards I'm going to generate using a tumbler.

I agree on general principles about the customer's attitude... except that I tend to agree with her critique. Trying to enhance the sonic quality of these things is something that's interested me for sometime.

On another note- I've been cranking some raku lately, and some of the pieces I posted in raw form are finished. Here's one of them...

IMG_2073_zps75f78ab6.jpg

Love the piece. Is there any way you could paint the bulb socket? I think it takes away from the piece overall, though I'm sure it's not noticeable, with the light on.

Still a grat piece. What did you use to color the fish, underglaze?

Love the piece. Is there any way you could paint the bulb socket? I think it takes away from the piece overall, though I'm sure it's not noticeable, with the light on.

Still a grat piece. What did you use to color the fish, underglaze?

Thanks mate- much obliged.

This is the first run of lanterns that I've tried to wire for power- and I definitely have a lot to learn. This one- I think I may completely re-wire for a smaller gauge bulb- that thing is simply too enormous.

There are a couple accent glazes on the carving- all are Raku glazes. The man color comes from Ferguson's Turquoise. Here's the recipe...

Ferro Frit 3110 100

Tin Oxide          3

Copper Carb.   3

Bentonite         3

• 3 months later...

It gets a little complex with a ramified, 3D object though. Take that lantern for example... you'd need a computer to assess all the relationships. If the golden ratio is truly meaningful, I'd like to think that the eye could recognize it intuitively...

I'm with you.

Trust the gut feeling it's usually right.

It's innate design and composition, even in nature.

I think these rules are for school, and the occasional artist that doesn't have a creative bone in his body. I laughed when I saw it as an camera viewfinder overlay. Because I've always approached design and composition that way.

Archived