8 replies to this topic

#1 celia12345678910

celia12345678910

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationnorthern minnesota

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

I finally have a little time to read the posts in the communities, and I love that there are so many talented people in the group. I notice that when I view profiles it helps to visualize and TRY to solve problems if I can get an idea of what the final products you make look like. Please take advantage of the gallery benefits of your Ceramics Arts Daily accounts. This would be of good use for people that don't have web pages, and at least Ceramics Arts Daily participants can view your work. Never know, might work like free advertising!OH! I FORGOT! Please let me know when your update your gallery!

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Dear Cella,
I love the piece in the gallery and also the avatar. Beautiful work.

Marcia

#3 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

I finally have a little time to read the posts in the communities, and I love that there are so many talented people in the group. I notice that when I view profiles it helps to visualize and TRY to solve problems if I can get an idea of what the final products you make look like. Please take advantage of the gallery benefits of your Ceramics Arts Daily accounts. This would be of good use for people that don't have web pages, and at least Ceramics Arts Daily participants can view your work. Never know, might work like free advertising!OH! I FORGOT! Please let me know when your update your gallery!

Nice piece in you profile gallery. I'd like to know more about it.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#4 celia12345678910

celia12345678910

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Nice piece in you profile gallery. I'd like to know more about it.

Jim

Thank you Jim for asking, the piece in my gallery is about 9 inches wide and high. The vessel is wheel thrown, terra sig applied to bone dry greenware, burnished, bisqued, ferric chloride on the surface and baked potatoe Raku. The lid is wheel thrown with handbuilt, naked clay attachment, horse hair marks. I have been to several workshops presented by notable Naked Raku and Raku artists. Clay is my therapy and passion.

#5 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

You are right, one should post more pics in the gallery. Will do so when I'am back home, next week. May I ask you what's baked potatoe raku? Sounds interesting. Thanks

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

#6 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Really nice work Celia... I've never really dabbled in naked raku, but love the effect. And yes- I need to post more images.

I worked in the BWCA for eight years as a guide and miss Northern Minnesota badly. Very envious that you get to hang you hat in that region!
Not all who wander are lost

#7 celia12345678910

celia12345678910

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

You are right, one should post more pics in the gallery. Will do so when I'am back home, next week. May I ask you what's baked potatoe raku? Sounds interesting. Thanks

Evelyne

Thanks for your interest Evelyn. Baked Potatoe Raku is a form of Naked Raku (no glaze on the pots). It is similar to Saggar firing, but the saggar is aluminum foil wraped around pottery (hence baked potatoe) that has been painted with a very cautic acid, ferric chloride. (used as an etchant for pc boards). You can add combustibles also (like saggar firing techniques) that leave marks on your pots. For lots more information and many galleries of work by other artists check out the group Naked Raku in Yahoo groups.

#8 justanassembler

justanassembler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Evelyne

Thanks for your interest Evelyn. Baked Potatoe Raku is a form of Naked Raku (no glaze on the pots). It is similar to Saggar firing, but the saggar is aluminum foil wraped around pottery (hence baked potatoe) that has been painted with a very cautic acid, ferric chloride. (used as an etchant for pc boards). You can add combustibles also (like saggar firing techniques) that leave marks on your pots. For lots more information and many galleries of work by other artists check out the group Naked Raku in Yahoo groups.

Just for pedantry, ferric is actually a corrosive salt.

#9 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

Hello Celia and thank you for the explanation. I know the aluminum foil saggars, done that myself. I didn't know it is also called baked potatoe raku. Oh well, we live and learn! Posted Image

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users