#1 oldlady

oldlady

firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

i am surprised at how few potters know about a mirror placed so the potter can see the profile of the pot all the time. saves all that twisting around to see the shape. some of the you tube things i watch make me squirm in sympathetic pain.
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

I do. I use it so I don't have to get up from the wheel and step back to look at the form I am throwing. This was something my teacher, Paula Winokur, recommended back in college days.
SInce I am throwing mostly tall forms lately in porcelain, it is nice to lean back and look at the overall shape from the wheel.

Marcia

#3 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

I did a long time ago-now its one more thing to break. I really just need to see the side of the pot my head is close to. I will say that I have straighted up to view now and again but thats also just good to move around on the seat after a throwing session.I tend to fill a ware board get up and move it and repeat.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#4 Mark McCombs

Mark McCombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationSW Washington

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

When I cleared out the space for my small studio, I found a 2' x 2' mirror.
I set it on a couple buckets in front of the wheel and propped it up against the wall.

Works great. I pretty sure I got the idea to do that from one of Simon's videos.

Posted Image
Mark
Fast Hawk Pottery

^5-6 Ox
1227 Skutt

#5 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

When I cleared out the space for my small studio, I found a 2' x 2' mirror.
I set it on a couple buckets in front of the wheel and propped it up against the wall.

Works great. I pretty sure I got the idea to do that from one of Simon's videos.

Posted Image

I do. It is a big old dresser top thing, sits at about10 o'clock to my wheel head. It has helped me straighten up a bunch.

#6 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Thank you for reminding me about the mirror, I usually have one hung next to my wheel, I just forgot about it when I built my new studio. Makes me wonder what happened to the last one, may be it's still hanging on the wall at my old house. Denice

#7 SShirley

SShirley

Cow Creek Pottery

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPittsburg, Kansas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Not me. I tried it but didn't like seeing my ugly self in the mirror. Better to just bend over once in a while.

Sylvia

#8 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Not me. I tried it but didn't like seeing my ugly self in the mirror. Better to just bend over once in a while.

Sylvia

Never don that. I might have to try it, but usually when throwing larger pieces I am standing and just walk a way leaving the wheel moving slowly. Other pieces I have a tendency to get up and walk back to see also. this allows me to stretch while working, but then I am not trying to crank out great numbers of pots. Some times I throw for the joy of throwing-in the dark. Good practice.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#9 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

I use a mirror to brush my teeth in the morning. For some reason I can't find my mouth that early in the A.M. Have seen videos of Simon Leach etc. using a mirror for throwing. Never tried it.
TJR.

#10 Doulla

Doulla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSomerset, United Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

I sculpt animals and have a very large mirror on the wall behind my table. I like viewing the sculpture in the mirror, for some reason I can see mistakes better in the mirror.

#11 missholly

missholly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Locationzanesville, ohio

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

i definitely do. i like being able to see the profile as it spins.
i feel like i can see the clay better. id definitely suggest it!
www.lotsapotsa.com
www.daddyzero.com

#12 Idaho Potter

Idaho Potter

Learning all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

I've never used a mirror for throwing pots, but do use one when working on a sculpture--especially the faces. Was taught that when I was learning wood carving--it will show every mistake in portrait heads, and in wood carving, the sooner you know you've gone astray, the better. Thank heavens clay is easier to adjust.

Shirley

#13 Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

There was a giant 4x2.5 foot mirror in my basement so when i built my studio down there I tucked it in between the wall and my wheel. When I am trimming with my giffin grip on the wheel head and I have the tall bucket to catch the trimmings I can't see the pot im working on and that seems to be when I glance up to check it out the most.

#14 jrgpots

jrgpots

I AM NOT AN EXPERT! Take what I say with a grain of salt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

I've never used a mirror for throwing pots, but do use one when working on a sculpture--especially the faces. Was taught that when I was learning wood carving--it will show every mistake in portrait heads, and in wood carving, the sooner you know you've gone astray, the better. Thank heavens clay is easier to adjust.

Shirley

I think the mirror allows us to use the right side of our brain more easily. It's like drawing upside down.

Jed

#15 annekat

annekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOlympia, Washington

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I used to. I gave it up at some point, not sure why. Maybe felt like it was too much of a crutch, that I should be shaping the inside of the pot rather than being hung up on the outside profile. Now I'm thinking it might be a good idea to try it again! It's not always easy to judge the shape of a pot just by looking at the inside, or by looking at the outside up close, especially with bifocals. And many times I'll look at a pot later, when it's leather hard, and wish I had put a little more volume or roundness into it that might have been easier to assess with a mirror during throwing. Pots may change shape a bit as they shrink, making it more important to really emphasize the shape you want to begin with.
Anne

#16 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yes, I heard of people using a mirror, and I saw a youtube video once of a Lady sitting in front of a huge "seamstress mirror", throwing a pot. I never tried it myself, but I can see the sense of using a mirror all right. Maybe one time I will try.

Greetings

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users