#21 Mossyrock

Mossyrock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Jim....here is a picture of three of my handbuilt mugs. I have terra sig on the bare clay.

Those are nice. I like the design for the bottom. Is that just a really deep foot, that you cut the half-circles out of?

Benzine.....Yes, more or less. After I form the cylinder for the mug body, I insert the bottom about 3/4 inch up inside the cylinder and coil it in, top and bottom. Then I cut out the 'feet' using a small biscuit cutter. When I glaze, I can glaze everything except the slight edge going around the feet. By cutting the circles out to form the feet even with the bottom insert, if the mug is washed in a dishwasher, it drains well....no puddles in the base. Does that even make sense? Posted Image Hope so.
Brenda Moore
Mossy Rock Creations
High Point, NC

#22 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Jim....here is a picture of three of my handbuilt mugs. I have terra sig on the bare clay.

Those are nice. I like the design for the bottom. Is that just a really deep foot, that you cut the half-circles out of?

Benzine.....Yes, more or less. After I form the cylinder for the mug body, I insert the bottom about 3/4 inch up inside the cylinder and coil it in, top and bottom. Then I cut out the 'feet' using a small biscuit cutter. When I glaze, I can glaze everything except the slight edge going around the feet. By cutting the circles out to form the feet even with the bottom insert, if the mug is washed in a dishwasher, it drains well....no puddles in the base. Does that even make sense? Posted Image Hope so.

I'm slowly wrapping my head around it. Thanks for the explanation. I really do like the mugs.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users