alabama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

How I would attempt to do this.

This is just a hunch.  But I would use my favorite cone 10 porcellin clay - Highwater's Helios

and make a vessel.  Trim until translusent.  Get a dremel tool with a round diamond tip and make

a design on inside.  Borrow the light box from the art dept and flip the bowl upside down on

light box.  Then lightly match the inside etching with an exterior etching, being careful

NOT to make it pierce work.  Then glaze the bisqued piece with clear glaze.

I'd fire this cone 10 reduction, since clear fired in reduction becomes grey, which would

make it appear clear on the translucent white clay body.

If it matched Pinnell's example, great!  If not, re-group and try something else.

But this would be my starting point if I were to try figuring out this technique.

PS - Pete is a really neat potter to sit down and talk with if you ever get a chance.

In my most humble opinion,

Alabama :)

#22 Rae Reich

Rae Reich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

The reason it's called rice grain is this: grains of uncooked rice are pressed into the surface of porcelain when it's almost leather hard. The dry rice and the damp clay equalize when the timing is right. They are not pressed all the way through. They burn out in bisque firing, leaving pockets that fill with the transparent glaze.
The contemporary piece seems to use the same technique, but with shapes other than rice. My guess is thick watercolor paper cut into various shapes with those cool cutters that scrapbookers use.
  • Tre likes this

#23 phill

phill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Locationmn

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

I worked with an artist at Harvard named Akio Niisato. His work is similar, and he just drills holes in his pieces, bisques them, glazes and fires them. His glaze is specific I'm sure, and sometimes he has to refire them to fill all the holes, but that's how he works. Search for him on google.

#24 grype

grype

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

I worked with an artist at Harvard named Akio Niisato. His work is similar, and he just drills holes in his pieces, bisques them, glazes and fires them. His glaze is specific I'm sure, and sometimes he has to refire them to fill all the holes, but that's how he works. Search for him on google.

His work is awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users