#21 atanzey

atanzey

-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSouth-Central Pennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

I have a vent-a-kiln that came with my used kiln purchase. While I 'wanted' a bottom mount vent, I couldn't (yet) justify buying another when I have one. I'm fairly happy with the heat removal aspect of it. Part of their sales pitch on their website is that they've been called in to 'fix' overheating rooms with bottom vented kilns. For whatever that's worth!

Alice

#22 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'm guessing that perhaps it's the lid - not sure what else it could possibly be. I'm wondering if my elements are going, the firing did take a lot longer than usual. BUT the kiln had a heavy load - it was packed loosely with wares, but I had 6 1" shelves stacked with plates. SO according to Skutt techy that's a pretty dense load due to the shelves.
I'm starting to wonder if a "vent-a-Kiln" might be helfpul for this problem.
Has anyone ever used one? And do you think it will address this problem?

Did the overheating problem happen the first time you stacked your kiln like this? If so, the longer firing time could account for all the extra heat in the room.

Once, a potter called me freaking out because her kiln (with a kiln sitter) had still not shut off after 18 hours. She hadn't owned the kiln very long, and up until then, her glaze firings had taken about 9 hours. Turns out it was because she had stacked the whole thing with shelves 1 inch apart, to fire tiles. I was surprised at how much more energy it consumed.

Can you try another load that does not have as many shelves, and see what happens?

I have a vent-a-kiln. My studio will get pretty warm in the summer when firing the kiln, but never over 100 degrees. That could also be because I'm in a basement that tends to stay cool.

Mea
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#23 potterychick

potterychick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

Hmmm... that's an interesting thought. I don't think I've ever stacked so many shelves with so many plates before. I usually have a lot of bowls and mugs and pack it pretty tightly but with only 4 layers of shelves. Sometimes an extra 1/2 shelf with small plates at the top if I can fit it.
I will be running another glaze kiln in a few weeks - I will be sure to put taller items with less shelves in it.
Thank you EVERYONE for all of the input. It's so comforting to know that there are so many potters in the world with so much experience and information.

#24 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

A 23x27 inch kiln with 3 inch brick will put out about 14,000 BTU's per hour of heat into the room at cone 6. That's like leaving two average size stove burners on full blast. At cone 04, about 11,000 BTU/Hr.

True, but you have to also take into account the (supposed) air turnover rate in that space given the existing ventilation on the BTU / hr. accumuilation in the space? And also minus the heat pump efect of the AC unit in BTU/ hr.

Agreed. Just wanted to give people an idea of how much heat comes off a kiln.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#25 Bobg

Bobg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Locationsoutheastern WA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

The kiln is going to radiate heat even with a vent. The only way you will lower the temp is with fans and/or open the door/windows.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users