Hot item at today's show.......

Just got back a local clay club show/ sale .. And the the hot item was....... Drumroll please............

Teacups.............

I sold many yunomi styled tea cups. :D

Was expecting rice bowls to be hot... From what others said......

From ive been reading you can never predict what's hot.

Today I had five people ask for 'honey pots'.

Ignoring the obvious smart-arse potential, I figured out that they meant 'medium sized jars with an aperture in the lid'.

I had none. Nor do I plan to make any. Oh well...

Ya, I get that, I make these little turtle pots as souvenirs from my village. After doing different colour combos finally thought that the green and blue ones looked better then the purple/yellow ones and what do you know.....the purple ones sold out first so now I am left with a whack of green ones...T

post-8183-136897194078_thumb.jpg

post-8183-136897194078_thumb.jpg

Ignoring the obvious smart-arse potential, I figured out that they meant 'medium sized jars with an aperture in the lid'.

Many years ago when I was still doing shows, I had several queries about honey jars. After listening for a few years, and also having a request for a gift for a local guy that had bees, I made some. Many of the comments would mention that they would misplace the spoon/dauber or that they used them on the porch and bees or ants would be attracted even when the lid was on. I made some with these thoughts in mind, and sold great numbers of them. Over the years they have changed, but this example is one of the first years-a reject.

post-894-136897603865_thumb.jpg

Many years ago when I was still doing shows, I had several queries about honey jars. After listening for a few years, and also having a request for a gift for a local guy that had bees, I made some. Many of the comments would mention that they would misplace the spoon/dauber or that they used them on the porch and bees or ants would be attracted even when the lid was on. I made some with these thoughts in mind, and sold great numbers of them. Over the years they have changed, but this example is one of the first years-a reject.

<<revises thinking about not making any honey pots>>

My success at functional ceramics is to offer as many forms as I can at a show. I make about 40 forms now. When folks ask for something I do not make I will need about 50 or more requests to consider it as then when I do make that form another slower selling form drops off my list.

Honey post have always been on the make list but are never big sellers. I have seen less and less potters make them these days. I used to keep bees so I still use honey and make the pots.

Mark

The newer jars, last two years, have a thrown hollow bulb on the end instead of the reversed handle shape. I then cut part of the bulb so that it becomes a spoon. Works a little better.

The newer jars, last two years, have a thrown hollow bulb on the end instead of the reversed handle shape. I then cut part of the bulb so that it becomes a spoon. Works a little better.

I never thought of making a spoon that way. Got a picture?

Jim

Jim

Sorry Jim, I don't off hand. However, consider throwing a tall thin goblet/chalice them, and instead of flaring the end, bulb it closing in completely. Then if you cut of one side of the bulb @1/3 of it you have a spoon for the honey. Some of these I have done to the opposite side of the opening, and put 1/4" hole to allow drizzling of the honey.

Jim

Sorry Jim, I don't off hand. However, consider throwing a tall thin goblet/chalice them, and instead of flaring the end, bulb it closing in completely. Then if you cut of one side of the bulb @1/3 of it you have a spoon for the honey. Some of these I have done to the opposite side of the opening, and put 1/4" hole to allow drizzling of the honey.

I will try that. Thanks very much for the tip.

Jim

Jim

I will try that. Thanks very much for the tip.

Jim

You are welcome. I'll be in the studio this week, I'll try to do a few honey jars to show you.

• 3 weeks later...

Promised you a Honey Jar pic with the spoon, Jim.

post-894-137048609458_thumb.jpg

That's awesome Pres. Do you make the lid separately, then attach the "Spoon"?

OK, I have been reluctant to highlight my process. . .I throw the pot, usually several, but if only one throw the lid and spoon first then the pot off the same ball of clay. After leather hard, . . . .I use my GG to trim the jar, put the lid in upside down and trim the lid, score while still on wheel, put on the uncut spoon with scoring and magic water, and while wheel turning clean up. Afterwards I cut the notch in the spoon. Lately I haven't been adding the drizzle hole-seems redundant.

OK, I have been reluctant to highlight my process. . .I throw the pot, usually several, but if only one throw the lid and spoon first then the pot off the same ball of clay. After leather hard, . . . .I use my GG to trim the jar, put the lid in upside down and trim the lid, score while still on wheel, put on the uncut spoon with scoring and magic water, and while wheel turning clean up. Afterwards I cut the notch in the spoon. Lately I haven't been adding the drizzle hole-seems redundant.

The way you make the spoon is clever but have you ever thought of making a clay honey dipper (the wooden thing with a knob on the end with ridges sort of like a cork screw)?

Jim (who is trying to ignore the mentioning of a GG!)

The way you make the spoon is clever but have you ever thought of making a clay honey dipper (the wooden thing with a knob on the end with ridges sort of like a cork screw)?

Jim (who is trying to ignore the mentioning of a GG!)

Yes I have considered that, however was not satisfied with the first ones I made. Then again to this was several years ago, and my throwing skills have changed, I may try it again. Most people have liked the spoons.

I'll bet if you had little jars of honey available from a local beekeeper and offered the honey and pot as a set, they would sell like hotcakes.

I find it easier anymore to sell to bee keepers. They do what you say, and I don't have to do shows.

Speaking of hot items, I just saw an infomercial for the "Stonewave". It's basically a stoneware onion soup bowl, with a lid.

I used to make these ramekin style dishes years ago with handles on them to lift in and out of the oven, and to handle when eating the soup. Traditionally ramekins were for onion soup and often for creme brulle.

Speaking of hot items, I just saw an infomercial for the "Stonewave". It's basically a stoneware onion soup bowl, with a lid.

I used to make these ramekin style dishes years ago with handles on them to lift in and out of the oven, and to handle when eating the soup. Traditionally ramekins were for onion soup and often for creme brulle.

I forgot to mention, that these were being marketed as for being primarily used in the microwave. Cooking eggs (Good lord does that make a smell), cakes, everything.

Archived