Thomas-Stuart vs Clay Boss

There were many posts through the forum asking which wheel to buy or talking of which wheel is better.

Not arguing with anybody, but sharing some information that I have from my personal experience (I have both wheels).

Thomas-Stuart has a rock-solid stamina, but needs shimming if not on the horizontal surface.

Clay Boss has adjustable legs, so I do not have to shim it and can expand the legs, and it feels pretty steady too (it has a sturdy steel frame)

(I am not talking about the "Artista" here!)

Both have industrial type motor (my Clay Boss is 1/2 hp, my Thomas-Stuart is 1/3 hp)

Both have 5 years warranty.

I like them both, but when I trim, I prefer the Clay Boss: it has a steel wheel head, and it makes all the difference in the world, as I can use magnets to keep the vessel on the wheel when I trim the foot, etc.

Both have the same size of the table and the wheel, both can handle large amount of clay body.

And guess what? You can buy the Boss Clay for $599, but the cheapest Thomas-Stuart I saw was $979.

If I sound like I am advertising, then I am! :-)

Unless you are a professional potter, I see no reason to pay more for a wheel than what the Boss Clay costs. Great wheel!

Thank you for the brief overview. How long do you have each wheel for?

Not for a long. Clay Boss for 5 mo and Thomas-Stuart for a month.

If you think that the cheaper wheel may get broken sooner than the expensive one, I would not be that sure in it. I can see why it is less expensive: much less steel in the stamina, which does not make any difference on the performance of the wheel.

So far, I had to replace the controller on the Thomas Stuart, but that was partially my fault.

I am saying "partially", because I think the company has to take some responsibilities too for not been clear with the limitations of the wheel.

I did abuse it by not switching it completely off before I changed the rotation of the wheel. (I thought since it was still, I could do it :-((

I was not whining about it, instead honestly admitted it to the techs and ordered another controller.

I do not own either of these wheels but my opinion is clay boss is a lesser wheel than a Thomas Stuart in terms of lasting longer without issues. I know people with both wheels as well as being around them in school settings..

Glad you like your clay boss lets hope it is trouble free for years.

Mark

I do not own either of these wheels but my opinion is clay boss is a lesser wheel than a Thomas Stuart in terms of lasting longer without issues. I know people with both wheels as well as being around them in school settings..

Glad you like your clay boss lets hope it is trouble free for years.

Mark

Thank you Marc! I hope so too. If it gets broken after the warranty expires, it still will be just $10 per month.

This wheel is probably more suitable for the people who are not sure they will keep this hobby forever (although once you start, you are hooked! Ha),

so it is a good alternative to buying a used wheel. If you are a beginner, do not write Clay Boss off your list.

I agree what what Mark said (and you, too) but am wondering about what you said about breaking your well. My electric wheel is a Brent but I switch directions without concern about the wheel coming to a complete stop. Did doing that really break your TS wheel?

Jim

i have a pacifica wheel dating back to 1772. it was harmed when lightning struck the pole outside and fried the electronics and my tv, all the ceiling fans and more back in the 90s. after a new pedal was installed i learned to unplug the wheel when i don't use it. i have also replaced the rubber belts that drive it. that was 2010 i think. it has always been my favorite. it is practically silent in operation. has it now been taken over by Laguna?

the florida studio has a clay boss. i find it noisy. the difference in the operation seems slight but the noise is annoying.

i hate brents for their noise. in a classroom setting all those things going at once means you can't talk to the person next to you.

I agree what what Mark said (and you, too) but am wondering about what you said about breaking your well. My electric wheel is a Brent but I switch directions without concern about the wheel coming to a complete stop. Did doing that really break your TS wheel?

Jim

Yes it does, and that sucks! I have to replace the controller ($95). I wish I knew that before I bought the TS.

The instruction (who reads the instructions!) says: "Do not attempt to reverse the wheel direction while the power to the wheel is on."

The wheel by itself didn't have the warning, so I did. It never worked again. I was told I burned the controller. Darn it. Still waiting for this part.

Wish I bought the Brent.

Jim

Yes it does, and that sucks! I have to replace the controller ($95). I wish I knew that before I bought the TS.

The instruction (who reads the instructions!) says: "Do not attempt to reverse the wheel direction while the power to the wheel is on."

The wheel by itself didn't have the warning, so I did. It never worked again. I was told I burned the controller. Darn it. Still waiting for this part.

Wish I bought the Brent.

Wow. Never heard of that before. I still think TS makes a good wheel, but that is a negative and you're right if something as simple as switching directions is going to break the wheel then there should, at least, be a warning tag near the switch. I wonder if other wheels are that way or if I've just been lucky with mine.

Jim

Thank you for the brief overview. How long do you have each wheel for?

Not for a long. Clay Boss for 5 mo and Thomas-Stuart for a month.

Thank you.

The fact that TS fries controller when changing direction on-the-fly is, really, a bad news. Not because anyone NEEDS to do it, but because it can be done by accident. The design must be fool proof in this respect.

If it were mine, I'd either disconnect or block the switch physically.

As far as silent wheels I have yet to hear one more so than a shimpo VL whisper. These make the pacifica's seem very noisy which they are not.

Brents are up on the noise scale. I own 4 of them so I can say that easy.

Mark

As far as silent wheels I have yet to hear one more so than a shimpo VL whisper. These make the pacifica's seem very noisy which they are not.

Mark

My Brent isn't as noisy as my old Shimpo was but it wasn't a Whisper. I've never thought of wheel noise as a problem. Of course, I can't hear much of anything with Led Zeppelin blasting.

Jim

Mark

My Brent isn't as noisy as my old Shimpo was but it wasn't a Whisper. I've never thought of wheel noise as a problem. Of course, I can't hear much of anything with Led Zeppelin blasting.

Jim

I don't notice the noise of my CXC, I just take the hearing aids out before going into the shop!biggrin.gif

Archived