Photo
- - - - -

Will firing make imperfections more or less noticeable?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 futurebird

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'm making unglazed-ware-- specifically yixing teapots. I won't get to fire them for a very long time. Which is fine, I nee to practice.

But I wonder what firing will do.

How will it change burnishing?

Posted Image

Is burnishing worth it?

Will it tone down imperfections or heighten them?

My goal here is *perfection* for it to look almost machine-made. I'm always looking for way to improve symmetry and smoothness.

www.futurebird.com

#2 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Futurebird;
Yixing teapots are burnished and are unglazed. Purchase or make some terra sigilatta.[look it up].Brush it on the leather hard pot. Burnish with a spoon or a stone.
Then you will smooth out some imperfections.
TJR.

#3 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

I'm making unglazed-ware-- specifically yixing teapots. I won't get to fire them for a very long time. Which is fine, I nee to practice.

But I wonder what firing will do.

How will it change burnishing?

Posted Image

Is burnishing worth it?

Will it tone down imperfections or heighten them?

My goal here is *perfection* for it to look almost machine-made. I'm always looking for way to improve symmetry and smoothness.

I've seen but haven't read your other posts about making these teapots, so sorry about asking questions that you've already answered elsewhere and I'm too lazy to look up, but: These are handbuilt, right? Are these your first teapots? (I like them.) Since I don't know how high they will be fired, I don't know if burnishing is worth it, but am guessing that it isn't.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#4 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

A highly polished surface will dull when it is fired.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#5 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Burnishing is a low fire technique, never meant to be fired higher than cone06.Neil and Jim are correct. It will burn off in higher temperatures.
TJR.

#6 futurebird

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Burnishing is a low fire technique, never meant to be fired higher than cone06.Neil and Jim are correct. It will burn off in higher temperatures.
TJR.

How do the masters get their pots so shiny? I know some are polished after firing-- or coated in tea after years of use... but even new pots seem to shine...

Posted Image

The idea of using slip to burnish in interesting, but I wonder of it is done that way in China. This clay has been worked for 600 years I want to learn the traditional way before I modify it

I was told that you polish the pot with ox horn... so that's what I tried to do.
www.futurebird.com

#7 futurebird

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

I've seen but haven't read your other posts about making these teapots, so sorry about asking questions that you've already answered elsewhere and I'm too lazy to look up, but: These are handbuilt, right? Are these your first teapots? (I like them.) Since I don't know how high they will be fired, I don't know if burnishing is worth it, but am guessing that it isn't.

Jim

These are my 12th and 13th hand built pots you don't want to see the first one. Posted Image
www.futurebird.com

#8 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

After applying terra sig to a bone dry piece, I buff it with a soft cloth. I never liked the streaks created by using a hard tool to burnish.

Marcia

#9 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Just taking a stab at it ... But a lovely terra sig will leave that kind of a surface and survives firing ... At least mine have to cone 6.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#10 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,982 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Maybe make a terra sig out of the Yixing clay body you are using. Not hard to do. Google it.

best,

.............john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#11 JLowes

JLowes

Clay Doodler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia area

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

It is my understanding that Yixing clay (zisha clay) unique to Yixing, and thus maybe the shine comes from the properties of that clay, rather than burnishing or terra sig. I think I read that it has iron, quartz and mica in the clay, and is running out. Get those teapots while you still can.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users