Firemate Controller

I bought a used kiln with a Firemate controller. Works really well for my clay and glaze, or it seems to. I am trying to use it on the Manual/Stop setting for something and the thumbwheel is turning. Is is broken? I thought on Manual/Stop the wheel would only advance if I turned it?!? Anyone have any experience with this?

I bought a used cress also with a fire mate. I had some problems with mine also. Whoever had it before switched some wires around. I had an electrician look at it and he fixed the problem. And yes you should be able to manually turn the wheel when it's on manual/stop.

When you are doing your regular bisque and glaze firings, do you start the wheel at #1? It then progresses to #9 which is all elements getting all available juice until the time runs out or your kiln sitter shuts down. I believe the wheel controls the relays that control how long the elements are receiving electricity. I have used it to try holding a temp. So far no problems, but that could be just dumb luck. The wheel can be moved anytime and set at any number. The knob that sets the firing speed (A - E) controls the wheel. If you set it for slow firing, the wheel takes longer to move from one number to another.

Shirley

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I have been busy and haven't been back for a while! I contacted Cress and they were absolutely no help whatsoever. The guy who answered my e-mail basically regurgitated what you can find in their manual and everywhere on the internet.

Oddly enough, I fired this weekend and kind of jiggled the knob in the stop/manual position and the wheel only advanced when I manually advanced it. Which is what I believe it is supposed to to. I will have my husband pull it apart and check the wires - probably a loose one.

So, give me a few months to fire and track data, and I will be your go-to gal for Firemate firing information. FYI - so far I have had a much better glaze fire on "B" than "A", it did not go above 9 on the thumb wheel and it only took about an hour longer.

No, it is supposed to advance automatically if you are using the Kiln Sitter and Firemate together. If you set it on manual, you have to advance it manually. Remember that there is firing time/temperature and heat work and they don't always follow the same path when firing manually. I'm surprised you found the Cress tech unhelpful. It could be that the internet and their manual is as definitive as it's going to get.

Archived