3 replies to this topic

#1 maryO

maryO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCrystal Lake, IL

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Due to popular demand, I'm going to try to help my seniors pottery class dip doilies in slip & fire the resulting shapes. I've never done this before, but imagine, after watching the Robin Hopper video, dip into slip, squeeze a little, arrange, let dry, carefully fire. We are using cotton only - I have some burlap & cheesecloth too. My slip is Great Lakes Clay Michigan White, a smooth body clay. Can anyone who's done this before give me a few pointers?

#2 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

They are going to be very fragile at every stage so anything you can do to minimize the effects of moving them is good. Maybe build them on poster board that will fire away so you dont have to lift the piece itself? Even when fully fired they are delicate.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#3 maryO

maryO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

They are going to be very fragile at every stage so anything you can do to minimize the effects of moving them is good. Maybe build them on poster board that will fire away so you dont have to lift the piece itself? Even when fully fired they are delicate.

#4 maryO

maryO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Thanks much, Chris. I was thinking they'd slump in bowls. Most of these "students" have just started working in clay & I want them to have as positive experience as possible. We are using those thicker, crochet'ed cotton doilies, so that might help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users