• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

I am another who grew up in Middle Georgia. The creek banks in my neck of the woods were lined with red clay and a grey clay that the kids called "Indian Clay"...I don't think any of us actually fired pieces we made of that clay, although I recall a Boy Scout trip when someone attempted (unsuccessfully) to place a pot in a campfire. Oddly enough, searching for clay shards from the Native Americans who lived in the region centuries ago was a common practice...and they likely used those same clays.

My first, formal clay experience came in college.  The art department shunned clay as a 'craft', so the clay classes were in the Scool of Home Economics.  Clay classes were looked upon as easy elective "A's" for architecture students...I was hooked at the first demo on the wheel.

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#42 MudBug

MudBug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

My first clay figures were when I was 8. Not fired or anything, but dried and hand polished.

A few months ago, I started putting some worthwhile time into working with clay again.

This time, glazed and fired and all that jazz. :)

Not new to art and design. A complete newbie to Ceramics. Now, in a period of adaptating to the new medium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users