Fireing cones

I am a relative beginner. This is my question...can I use stoneware that is typically fired at cone 6 and above in the following way... I want to bisque at cone 04-06 and then glaze using various mayco glazes that are low fired glazes and then fire after glazing at cone 06? Or do I have to use low fire clay?

I am a relative beginner. This is my question...can I use stoneware that is typically fired at cone 6 and above in the following way... I want to bisque at cone 04-06 and then glaze using various mayco glazes that are low fired glazes and then fire after glazing at cone 06? Or do I have to use low fire clay?

are you asking because you have a large supply of cone 6 clay? what is it? why do you want to do this?

You don't have to but it would be better to use a low fire clay, especially if the piece is functional.

Jim

If you want to do this because you like the colors of the Mayco glazes and they are rated for cone 06-04 -- you should know that many of the Mayco low fire glazes work very well at mid range - to cone 6. I use their cone 06-04 glazes on cone 6 stoneware and porcelain all the time. If you are using "foundation" glazes by Mayco, look on the side of the bottle -- they usually say whether or not the glaze can go to cone 6, and with what differences. The info is also available online.

If you are asking for another reason, ignore this!

Yes, you can fire stoneware clays at earthenware temperatures. You cannot really do the reverse since the low-fire clay will most likely melt/slump heavily at higher temps. If it's functional work, then you will want a lower-temp clay body so that it gets closer to vitrification. If it's sculptural, no problemo. In our studio we make a stoneware clay body with lots of grog and usually fire to ^04 - allows us to make thick large scale work and once-fire without much issue.

Good luck!

Archived