#21 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Try "Mold Builder Liquid Latex". it is sold at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores. It is pretty thick stuff and you may need to thin it slightly with water. If you keep the lid on tight it will not thicken or set up. It is far superior to wax in that when you peel it off your piece, there is no residue that repels glaze. If you make a mistake, just rub it off with your finger when it cures out. Since you peel all of it off after the glaze drys, you never get isolated blobs of glaze that stick to the middle of resist lines.

The container it comes in is kind of big so I pour a couple of ounces into a old pill bottle with a good tight lid, and brush from that. 

I had a clay body that the latex was hard to see on, so I added a couple of drops of red food  color. worked fine. Just don't add any color that is not an organic pigment that will burn off in the kiln.

There has to be a down side to any story...right? The down side is that if you leave the brush sitting around, the latex will set up and you will lose the brush. No amount of scrubbing, solvents, boiling, cussing. will bring it back. The work around is simple. Every once in a while clean it in cold water. Swish it around in a may jar full of water. My sink is close so I jut hold it under the tap.

#22 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Try "Mold Builder Liquid Latex". it is sold at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores. It is pretty thick stuff and you may need to thin it slightly with water. If you keep the lid on tight it will not thicken or set up. It is far superior to wax in that when you peel it off your piece, there is no residue that repels glaze. If you make a mistake, just rub it off with your finger when it cures out. Since you peel all of it off after the glaze drys, you never get isolated blobs of glaze that stick to the middle of resist lines.

The container it comes in is kind of big so I pour a couple of ounces into a old pill bottle with a good tight lid, and brush from that. 

I had a clay body that the latex was hard to see on, so I added a couple of drops of red food  color. worked fine. Just don't add any color that is not an organic pigment that will burn off in the kiln.

There has to be a down side to any story...right? The down side is that if you leave the brush sitting around, the latex will set up and you will lose the brush. No amount of scrubbing, solvents, boiling, cussing. will bring it back. The work around is simple. Every once in a while clean it in cold water. Swish it around in a may jar full of water. My sink is close so I jut hold it under the tap.

Sounds like good stuff.  I'll look into it, as I have several Hobby Lobby stores all around me.

This past year, I didn't have any latex resist, so I tried some watercolor maskoid.  It works well, but you burn through it fast.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#23 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

For those of you who don't want to support Hobby Lobby, other craft stores stock Mold Builder Liquid Latex and Amazon has it for a couple of bucks less than Hobby Lobby.

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#24 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

For those of you who don't want to support Hobby Lobby, other craft stores stock Mold Builder Liquid Latex and Amazon has it for a couple of bucks less than Hobby Lobby.

Jim

Why not support Hobby Lobby, because their prices are ridiculous?

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#25 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'm not supporting them for these reasons

1st-never heard of them -who picked that name anyway?

2nd-now that I have the closest store is 211 miles away one way.-Lets see low hobby town prices and gas is over 4$ a gallon-422 miles for cheaper hobby stuff (not sure I need any )

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#26 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Jim

Why not support Hobby Lobby, because their prices are ridiculous?

It's political so I won't go into it here.

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#27 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

For all Liquid Latex products keep them from freezing-it will mess them up-also true for water base waxes, Best to keep air off them when stored as well.

As far as wax I have had super great experiences with Moblilcer-A from Laguna Clay-I buy it in 5 gallons buckets every 5 years

It also comes in smaller sizes

I have used this product for more years than I can recall with never a bad experience unless you spill it on the floor-which I have

as Far as latex the Ammonia Base latex -IP 234 from laguna is a great product as well-never had an issue- It peels well taking the glaze on top with it.

you can buy these from ceramic distributors- not Romper Room or Hobby Lobby or Crafters supply house of hobby horrors.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users