sawdust injected burners

I started an additional subject on sawdust burners which didn't quite fit into the wood-fired forced air topic.

Lowell Baker has been working on these for a long time. He gives workshops all over the place. Here is a Youtube on his sawdust injected burner.

Marcia

I started an additional subject on sawdust burners which didn't quite fit into the wood-fired forced air topic.

Lowell Baker has been working on these for a long time. He gives workshops all over the place. Here is a Youtube on his sawdust injected burner.

Marcia

Very very cool. Brilliant.

I had thoughts of using sawdust. But not so technical...

Is he still doing workshops?

Have you seen pottery from sawdust burner, any similarities to wood fire?

Big thanks for the info.

Back in the mid 1970's there was a Cedar mill in Texas that I worked. We ground up dry Cedar stumps into sawdust and extracted the oil with a steam evaporation and cooling system(a still).

The waste sawdust was burned to heat the boiler that produced the steam.

It had a firebox that sawdust was dragged by chain into a hopper over the firebox. a forced air system with 6- 1in tubes, 3 on a side. These were used to "fluff up" the sawdust and provide some air and a main blower pushed the flame into the boiler box that heated the water to steam.

Long before I knew what a celadon glaze was, I found a green glaze slag drip from the iron lip under the boiler box where the flame entered.

I think this design could serve as a model for a sawdust fired kiln using squirrel cage blowers and a distribute or manifold air system with a hopper feeder for the sawdust.

Wyndham

Archived