if you could be any potter?

I have to thank the ones who mentioned Beatrice Wood. I didn't know her (I'am living over the pond, in Switzerland) and I was searching the net for her. I've found many wonderful pieces, and I have ordered her book. Can't wait to read it.

I love Lucie Rie's work very much also.

Greetings

Evelyne

If it is available on the internet, rent "Mama of Dada". It is a great movie about her life. You would recognize many in it like Marcel Duchamp and Andre Breton.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a relatively unknown (and newer) potter named Randal Anderson.  He is actually a photographer and now also does pottery. He throws with an enviable looseness and is unconcerned with pottery rules; he has a bravado atypical of potters who have been taught by universities or other institutions. 

Although I don't want to be him, I want to learn from him. His work is inspiring! 

I am happy to be the potter I am, but i wouldn't mind be able to push a pencil around on the clay like Frank Boyden, or push the clay around like he and his friend Tom Coleman do.  Both are inspirations, and I hope that some of their aesthetics creep into my work in a very covert way (I don't always make raku animals.)  For sheer enjoyment of the clay and potters, Tony Clenell comes to mind, so a sprinkling of his spirit would be a nice addition.

John

• 3 months later...

Maybe a better way of asking the question is: if you could magically acquire the skills of another potter, who would it be?

I wouldn't be able to choose.

There is one famous potter ... Whose finished work I really cannot appreciate at all .... But he is an amazing hand builder. You watch him work and it looks like ballet ... It's so smooth and confident and experienced. Every touch of the clay is purposeful.

I don't want to make the finished product but I'd like to borrow the confident skill.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived