Technician Job at the Clay STudio in Philadelphia

I just got this in my email.

The Clay Studio (TCS) seeks a Studio Technician to provide technical and administrative support to our Education Department and building maintenance as needed.

The Clay Studio is looking for an individual with the following competencies:

• Customer focus and effective communication
  • Planning and organizing
  • Occupational knowledge and skills
  • Great attitude

The Studio Technician will support the Educational Program by:

• Supervising of interns and volunteers
  • Updating and monitoring schedules
  • Tracking inventory
  • Firing reduction and oxidation kilns
  • Maintaining safety of facilities and studios

The Studio Technician establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their respect & trust. Views students, artists, faculty and staff as key customers and communicates with them to ensure an excellent educational experience and positive perception of TCS.Orchestrates multiple activities at once to maintain smooth running operations. Accurately scopes out projects to assess key challenges, objectives and outcomes. Maintains a safe environment by using the technical skills and knowledge of operating and repairing equipment. Uses education of firings and materials to process student work and to educate others. Provides assistance and information to all within the TCS community, having patience and a great attitude while remaining productive at work.

Qualifications & Compensation

• A Bachelors degree in Arts, Arts Education or related field
  • 1+years studio technician experience in a studio
  • Salary of $25K, depending upon qualifications, experience, and performance
  • Studio space is included

Reporting Relationship

The Studio Technician reports to the Vice President on all matters related to job description, obtaining appropriate and final approvals from manager to build alignment.

Work Schedule

The Studio Technician works 40+ hours per week, on salary. Normal hours for the position are 9 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday. The Studio Technician is expected to be present for all scheduled gas firings for the School and special events that regularly occur outside of normal business hours; in these instances hours are adjusted accordingly. The Studio Technician also works First Friday events as scheduled.

To Apply

E-mail cover letter and resume to Jennifer@theclaystudio.org with Studio Technician in the subject heading.

Deadline

June 1, 2013

Are they really serious about the salary? It really suprises me that it is so low, after all they want someone with a university education. Is that the norm in the states? T

Well stated salary is,vague.....

With quick calculation and web search. Same salary as asset protection associate at wal Mart. Obviously studio space is a perk. (Better be cranking out some pots on the side).

Trina. This is not indicative of average salary of college educated person in the US. Studies state that 44.5K is average starting salary out of the box...

Maybe perfect job for trust fund kid.

Are they really serious about the salary? It really suprises me that it is so low, after all they want someone with a university education. Is that the norm in the states? T

Studio techs in the states make anywhere between 20,000-50,000/ year, at least thats the range I have seen listed on posted openings... Also, more and more universities are adding an MFA requirement to their tech positions making that low end of the salary scale seem even more paltry. Usually the small salary is seen as being supplemented by the use of studio facilities, and sometimes materials.

For jobs in the arts, sadly, yes. I'm guessing that this is a very entry-level position, for an artist probably right out of college, who would do it for some income and a place to make their art. Still seems on the low end to me, but I'm also in probably the most expensive city in America... So my opinion is skewed.

mregecko,

what city are you in? Philadelphia is on the expensive side. But it is a really good city for clay and the Clay Studio is a big part of it. There are excellent galleries in the immediate area. There is studio space given with this job.

Also it is a non-profit. Jobs in non-profits are low. I think if you look at other non-profit positions they will be close. It is not a university. It is operating on grants and donations. And it is recognized internationally and hosts international guest artists. Not a bad group of people come through there.

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

For a person just graduating with a BFA and not already having a studio space and equipment of their own........ this is a great opportunity. Salaried jobs in the arts in all fields in the USA are few and far between....... particularly for someone with only a BFA..... so this is not all that "awful" a sitiation. Plus as Marcia stated.... The Clay Studio has a great reputation as a venue. Having that position on your resume would be a positive thing for the future.

A person in such a technician position (in any institution) has the opportunity to learn a LOT and make GREAT connections for the future. A chance to be learning about all of the practical day-to-day that most art schools do NOT include in the curriculum.

This could be a great bridge time between a BFA and getting an MFA.... or in heading toward building a private studio. On an MFA application.... it would look like a really good experience to have there.

While certainly not "lush", $25 K is not all that awful ..... there are tons of folks that are working at that level and have no skills or room for advancement. And as was said..... if you were SMART.... you'd be making work and selling it....and building relationships with sales venues and also building a reputation and resume. Think of it as more school....... with a paid assistantship. Beats flipping burgers full time while making yoyur artwork in the evenings........your "other job" is actuall IN the ceramics field

I think there is a tendency lately for people to think that the world is going to get handed to them on a silver paltter once they graduate. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to make it in the arts. Persistence and determination. If you don't "have it".... you won't. There are a lot of freshly graduated lawyers out there working at retail positions and burger joints now because they can't find jobs either. This position is not a thing to sneeze at.

Get the resumes out folks.

best,

.............john

PS: For places to require an MFA for being considered this kind of basic position is actually an INSULT to the MFA degree and the person who holds it. Crazy.

For a person just graduating with a BFA and not already having a studio space and equipment of their own........ this is a great opportunity. Salaried jobs in the arts in all fields in the USA are few and far between....... particularly for someone with only a BFA..... so this is not all that "awful" a sitiation. Plus as Marcia stated.... The Clay Studio has a great reputation as a venue. Having that position on your resume would be a positive thing for the future.

A person in such a technician position (in any institution) has the opportunity to learn a LOT and make GREAT connections for the future. A chance to be learning about all of the practical day-to-day that most art schools do NOT include in the curriculum.

This could be a great bridge time between a BFA and getting an MFA.... or in heading toward building a private studio. On an MFA application.... it would look like a really good experience to have there.

While certainly not "lush", $25 K is not all that awful ..... there are tons of folks that are working at that level and have no skills or room for advancement. And as was said..... if you were SMART.... you'd be making work and selling it....and building relationships with sales venues and also building a reputation and resume. Think of it as more school....... with a paid assistantship. Beats flipping burgers full time while making yoyur artwork in the evenings........your "other job" is actuall IN the ceramics field

I think there is a tendency lately for people to think that the world is going to get handed to them on a silver paltter once they graduate. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to make it in the arts. Persistence and determination. If you don't "have it".... you won't. There are a lot of freshly graduated lawyers out there working at retail positions and burger joints now because they can't find jobs either. This position is not a thing to sneeze at.

Get the resumes out folks.

best,

.............john

PS: For places to require an MFA for being considered this kind of basic position is actually an INSULT to the MFA degree and the person who holds it. Crazy.

Quoted for truth. I am working my way through the situation that John describes above, and have an application in that and many other pools. They pay is no phenomenal, but its no worse than working crappy non-clay related jobs, it affords me a studio, and allows me to as John said, meet folks and network. Its all about keeping my hands dirty and continuing to build my portfolio. I am currently a studio technician at a tier-1 state research university, and I make less than this job posts as salary--this is not uncommon.

It's a decent enough job ... pay is dink in a bucket though. I made more as a studio assistant when I was a freshman in college so requiring a 4 year degree with 1 year technical experience is a little odd even if studio space is included ... especially as salary position of 40 hours a week + all firings outside normal hours. so with an average of 50 hours to assume for gas firings and events ... that is roughly about $9 an hour.

Now If I lived in philly, had no debts like student loans and just got out of college ... i would go for it ... but there are jobs that are less demanding with better perks out there.

the job is 40 hours and includes the kiln firings plus additional flex time for special events where the schedule will be "adjusted" accordingly.

All the staff there works under these conditions, including the gallery director, education manager, etc. They also provide the city with the award winning program of the Clay mobile that goes out o schools. it is really an excellent step for a person starting out.

Marcia

Archived