Unusual glaze problem

I have what I think might be an unusual glaze problem. I made a decorative piece from Laguna #60 stoneware clay, which was bisque-fired at cone 04. I glazed the top of the piece by pouring a random pattern of dry orange shino glaze, letting that dry thoroughly, and then pouring a random pattern of luster shino. The rest of the piece remained unglazed. The piece was then fired to cone 10 in a gas reduction kiln. When the piece was unloaded, the luster glaze, where it overlapped with the dry orange shino, began to flake. It did not flake entirely away but left a layer underneath that looks granular, like sugar. It did not flake where there was no overlap with the dry orange shino. This doesn't seem like typical shivering when there is a misfit between the clay body and the glaze. I've used clay from this same batch and the same combination of glazes before without this problem. My searches of the web haven't turned up a problem exactly like this one. I'd be grateful to hear if anyone else has had a similar problem and ideas as to what might have caused it so I can avoid it in the future.

Lots of glazes don't play nice with shino, including other shinos. I would guess that is the root of the problem, however it may be an application problem. I wouldn't let your glazes dry too much between overlapping applications. Dry enough to pick up is dry enough. If totally dry, the first glaze layer can come loose from the pot when the second layer is applied.

Lots of glazes don't play nice with shino, including other shinos. I would guess that is the root of the problem, however it may be an application problem. I wouldn't let your glazes dry too much between overlapping applications. Dry enough to pick up is dry enough. If totally dry, the first glaze layer can come loose from the pot when the second layer is applied.

Thank you, Neil. I had no idea it was best not to let a glaze layer dry before applying a second glaze.

Any chance of a picture? That might help us figure this out.

TJR.

Hi, TJR. I'll try to get a photo of the problem and post it here. I'm afraid it will be hard to capture, but I'll do my best.

NEIL is a bit of a glaze expert around these parts. He may have answered your question for you. Layering of glazes is always tricky, Shinos especially.

TJR.

Any chance of a picture? That might help us figure this out.

TJR.

Hi, TJR. I'll try to get a photo of the problem and post it here. I'm afraid it will be hard to capture, but I'll do my best.

NEIL is a bit of a glaze expert around these parts. He may have answered your question for you. Layering of glazes is always tricky, Shinos especially.

TJR.

Even though I only work with ^6 these days, I have found over the years that it is a bad idea to let one glaze dry before applying a second over top. I usually pour/dip/splash on the first glaze, wait until no longer glossy, then apply the second glaze. My only other thought would be to wonder if that area of the kiln has a cold spot. You as the potter would know.

Maybe the two glazes are on too thick? The best way to layer glazes is spraying. That way you can control the thickness of each glaze. Do let the glazes dry before another is added. This cup has 6 different glazes layered onto it. None are shinos but I've never found shinos to be any harder to layer than any other glaze. http://ceramicartsda...image&img=2562.

Jim

Archived