Another strike against the pigsty

Though adding magnets to my tools has greatly improved my ability to find my tools in my pigsty, this old pig is still in the habit of setting them down among my lumps of clay, trimmings etc. Recovering my tools from my slop is much easier now that I have painted the handles of my tools a high visibility orange.

Great idea, I would have to paint mine a glow in the dark paint, I'm always dropping a tool and it rolls under shelves. I'm busy working and decide to rescue it later, of course that doesn't happen and then I find it months later during a major clean up. Denice

Great idea, I would have to paint mine a glow in the dark paint, I'm always dropping a tool and it rolls under shelves. I'm busy working and decide to rescue it later, of course that doesn't happen and then I find it months later during a major clean up. Denice

I'm thinking of getting a retractable key chain for some of the tools that just seem to disappear! :Dsrc="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif">

I'm thinking of getting a retractable key chain for some of the tools that just seem to disappear! :Dsrc="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif">

What about some type of "Swiss Army" ceramics multitool?

You guys have inspired me to create a "pro" version of my magnets on tools idea.

What about taking a 4 x 8 sheet of sheet metal and bend it into an arch above your wheel. Then whenever you get done with a tool you could just hurl it straight up and probably most of the time the magnet would stick to the sheet metal. However, if you keep your tools sharp you might have the sensation of sitting under the Sword of Damocies

Anyone who wants to get in on this entrepreneurial venture, I will cut you in for 100% of the profit

Larry

You guys have inspired me to create a "pro" version of my magnets on tools idea.

What about taking a 4 x 8 sheet of sheet metal and bend it into an arch above your wheel. Then whenever you get done with a tool you could just hurl it straight up and probably most of the time the magnet would stick to the sheet metal. However, if you keep your tools sharp you might have the sensation of sitting under the Sword of Damocies

Anyone who wants to get in on this entrepreneurial venture, I will cut you in for 100% of the profit

Larry

I like this idea . I've had some magnets around trying the magnet thing for trimming, needless to say they sit idly by sucking up my trimming tools. If only the invention could work for those tiny rubber ribs

My eyes and everything have gotton old, I bought some reading glases but they dont help........I cant remember where I put them.

I guess I need a case of orange spray paint

Larry;

Check on top of your forehead for said glasses.

TJR.

I'm thinking of getting a retractable key chain for some of the tools that just seem to disappear! :Dsrc="http://ceramicartsda...ult/biggrin.gif">

What about some type of "Swiss Army" ceramics multitool?

What I do, instead of tidying the tools, I just buy more! Now I have 27 fettling knives. Literally. I did a workshop at another school, and had enough knives for each member of the class. In my studio I can always lay my hands on a knife. They are lying around all over. No magnets though.

TJR.

Larry

I just remembered that I have some inserts for an old dishwasher to change the color scheme. .. .If they are metal, maybe I can mount them for the magnet set up near my wheel........Oh yeah!

tiny or large, rubber ribs can be drilled in the center and hung on a headless nail. so can the stainless ribs and the double ended tools that do not have a loop. surround your workspace with elevated 2x3s just at arms length and hang everything up. then you just have to develop the habit of replacing each tool in its space.

( don't you love those phony tv commercials where someone has everything neatly lined up on pegboard with neat outlines for each tool??????????)

I was losing track of some tools, but frankly, the rigamarole of magnets, glue and whatever is almost as bothersome as losing a tool in the bucket. I was at a thrift store and saw a small plastic silverware holder for 50 cents. It has turned out to be wonderful! I keep it close by my wheel and use the spoon area (across the end) for my ribs, and the other sections for the rest of my tools (one section for needle tool and other sharp things). If it gets grubby, just rinse and drain along with the tools. Okay, it still kinda piggy most of the time, but I know where the tools are.

Shirley

My eyes and everything have gotton old, I bought some reading glases but they dont help........I cant remember where I put them.

I guess I need a case of orange spray paint

Larry;

Check on top of your forehead for said glasses.

TJR.

Actually what I did is go to the dollar store and bought several pairs and put them everywhere. I think everyone needs multiple potters tools especially the ones with out legs.

Larry

I just remembered that I have some inserts for an old dishwasher to change the color scheme. .. .If they are metal, maybe I can mount them for the magnet set up near my wheel........Oh yeah!

Oh, I may still have one of those!

Archived