13 replies to this topic

#1 anniec9

anniec9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

I've recently made porcelain and earthenware pendants. Have bisque fired them no problem. My dilemma is I want to clear glaze both sides and can't find
out how. I have heard you can hang them up in the kiln, can anyone tell me how and what I should use. I have made a hole in them, but did see
some small hearts made with a wire inserted in the top to form a loop. What wire would that be? I'd hate to waste all the time and patience
I've put in to these and not be able to finish them.

Thanks Annie

#2 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

I've recently made porcelain and earthenware pendants. Have bisque fired them no problem. My dilemma is I want to clear glaze both sides and can't find
out how. I have heard you can hang them up in the kiln, can anyone tell me how and what I should use. I have made a hole in them, but did see
some small hearts made with a wire inserted in the top to form a loop. What wire would that be? I'd hate to waste all the time and patience

Thanks Annie

Go to this page and then pan down about halfway or more: http://www.bigcerami...adTilePlate.htm

Your local ceramic supply should have similar things. Also all you need is nichrome wire and a little clay to make your own.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#3 anniec9

anniec9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Thanks Annie

Go to this page and then pan down about halfway or more: http://www.bigcerami...adTilePlate.htm

Your local ceramic supply should have similar things. Also all you need is nichrome wire and a little clay to make your own.

Jim

#4 anniec9

anniec9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thank you for your reply Jim. I followed your advice and unfortiunately as I live in Australia, the cost of postage was 4 times the cost of the bead rack. It was just what I needed, now trying to find the same thing

here in Australia but having no luck. Did see an article on using kiln posts to hold the rod, again no luck, as kiln posts here in Aust are round and the ones I saw in the article are square, only available in

America and the UK. So its back to the drawing board now, unless someone else can help me. If I do find a way of making my own, could someone tell me what gage to use for rod and gage for loops on
the pendants?

Annie

#5 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thank you for your reply Jim. I followed your advice and unfortiunately as I live in Australia, the cost of postage was 4 times the cost of the bead rack. It was just what I needed, now trying to find the same thing

here in Australia but having no luck. Did see an article on using kiln posts to hold the rod, again no luck, as kiln posts here in Aust are round and the ones I saw in the article are square, only available in

America and the UK. So its back to the drawing board now, unless someone else can help me. If I do find a way of making my own, could someone tell me what gage to use for rod and gage for loops on
the pendants?

Annie

There must be a place in Australia where you can get nichrome wire (or any wire that will take kiln temperatures). If you can get that, then it is easy to make your own bead racks. Check with ceramic supply stores.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#6 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

the pendants?

Annie

If you can get nichrome rods or some other heat resistant metal, why not saw some grooves in firebrick using one on either side? I used some old kiln setter rods years ago for pendant/bead hangers.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#7 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have only tried making pendants once. To hang them I used old off-cuts from the kiln elements to hang them on, raised up with small kiln props. This method did take up a lot of space in the kiln.

1384226_215924051918490_1181728069_n.jpg

#8 anniec9

anniec9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thank you everyone for your answers and suggestions. I like the idea of using kiln bricks with a groove cut in them. Will give that idea a go.

Annie

#9 Kath K

Kath K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thank you everyone for your answers and suggestions. I like the idea of using kiln bricks with a groove cut in them. Will give that idea a go.

Annie

#10 Kath K

Kath K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Annie

Hi Annie

I have made my own stands and used some nichrome wire I was given from an engineer to fire my pendants. Not sure if the kiln may have been too hot for the wire to cope with or the wire needed to be thicker. Ended up with a nice melted collapse of pendants in the end. I am having a problem sourcing nichrome or kanthal wire in Australia too. I will try a thicker gauge next time if I can find some. Would love to know if you manage to get on to any, will let you know if I do as well.

Cheers

Kath K

#11 Mudslinger Ceramics

Mudslinger Ceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hi Annie, hi Kate

I bought nichrome wire (very fine, like beading wire) for insertion as little loops into clay pendants before firing... and... I bought kanthal wire (1.5mm dia.) for the bead 'trees' (think spiny cactus) I made out of stoneware clay, from NSW Pottery Supplies. Outlets at Homebush, Sydney and one in Brisbane, also do internet or phone orders.
http://www.nswpotterysupplies.com.au/ .

Good luck.
Irene

Mudslinger Ceramics :   www.mudslingerceramics.net

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to.

It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.'

- Robert Henri

#12 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

irene,
your website shows marvelous work in what appears to be paperclay and porcelain. the gift tags are of interest to me. what a great idea they are! are they designed to be bookmarks as well?
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#13 Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

For the pendents my kids made I used one kiln brick sliced in three. The centre support will prevent them from sliding into one another. After glazing, before you put them on the rod I suggest you clean the pendent hole well with a Q-tip so the glaze doesn't run and stick to the rod.

#14 Nat

Nat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

I make beads and pendants myself. I use a 0.9-1.5mm nichrome wire for the rods. 0.9mm for beads and 1.5mm for pendants as they tend to be heavier. For the loops on pendants I use a 0.5mm nichrome wire. I also use a metal bead rack. I got mine from Bath Potters in the UK, not sure if they deliver to Australia, maybe email them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users