Look at this transformation!

Thanks Chris!

I actually did mention it in the old Q.O.W. thread about dream studios, but I think many more people saw this thread. Much appreciated!

(happily back at work today, typing with dirty fingers)

Mea

Looks great. Too clean! I also want to thank you for mentioning on some older thread your "glaze stirring tools", aka plastic toilet brushes. I found a dollar store that had them and have been using them I love that I can leave tham in the bucket, easing cleanup. The ones I found are also made so that it's easy to snap off part of the stem to fit in small buckets

Beautiful and very inspiring. I noticed the hood vent. mea, do you prefer them over the downdraft bottom vents? I don't have a hood vent, but wonder if I would smell fewer fumes in my studio when I'm firing if I had the hood....

Beautiful and very inspiring. I noticed the hood vent. mea, do you prefer them over the downdraft bottom vents? I don't have a hood vent, but wonder if I would smell fewer fumes in my studio when I'm firing if I had the hood....

I don't have any preference for vent hoods over an undermounted vent. I have a vent hood because it made sense way back when I started this studio. Someone gave me a little 18 inch kiln for free. I wasn't going to turn down a free kiln, but I knew I'd outgrow it before too long. So I bought a vent hood that was big enough for a 23 inch kiln, so that switching to the bigger kiln later was a piece of cake. Ten years later it still works great, no need to replace it yet. I can still smell burning wax during the early hours of a glaze firing, but otherwise I don't smell anything. But I don't know how that compares to an undermounted vent.

Mea

Thats AWESOME! Just curious how many SQ FEET of floor space is the Studio?

I visited goodelephant website and a lot of real good info, Yall are the best.

By "studio" if you mean the space used for making/glazing/firing pots, it is now about 425 sq ft. If you also include the space I use to store the finished pots, packing materials, photo stand, and art festival gear, the total is about 600 sq ft. These numbers are just estimates, I'll do the exact math sometime before I file next year's tax return.

Glad you like my website!

Mea

I don't have any preference for vent hoods over an undermounted vent. I have a vent hood because it made sense way back when I started this studio. Someone gave me a little 18 inch kiln for free. I wasn't going to turn down a free kiln, but I knew I'd outgrow it before too long. So I bought a vent hood that was big enough for a 23 inch kiln, so that switching to the bigger kiln later was a piece of cake. Ten years later it still works great, no need to replace it yet. I can still smell burning wax during the early hours of a glaze firing, but otherwise I don't smell anything. But I don't know how that compares to an undermounted vent.

Mea

Looks like to me that you worked in the old space long enough to know exactly what you wanted to do to make the new/revised space work. So now that I am jealous, it is time to reassess where I work. Great studio!

Wow your studio looks like my old basement studio except you have yours arranged better. The windows in my studio were below grade because the house had sunk so much over 100 years and my ceiling were 6 ft high so it had the dungeon feel yours doesn't. Have fun Denice

beautiful space! my first was in a basement also. built in 1940 and had a big oil boiler, water heater and oil tank to share 10x20 feet. at first i thought the heavy built in worktable was an asset. until i removed it when i sold the house and found it took up 3x15 of those square feet. it used to rain on my head in the humid weather when i put a fan on to get some air moving. the condensation on the pipes overhead dripped all over me. my windows looked out onto the azaleas so i couldn't see anything and hardly had any light. but every moment down there was wonderful.

you have thought it out well and did not compromise on your ideas. well done.

Guest JBaymore
I noticed the hood vent. mea, do you prefer them over the downdraft bottom vents? I don't have a hood vent, but wonder if I would smell fewer fumes in my studio when I'm firing if I had the hood....

If you are smelling anything, then that is acting as a "marker" telling you that your vent system is not picking up the effluent at the rate that your kiln is generating it. It means that you should probably address the venting.

best,

...............john

Archived