raising my wheel

Several people have mentioned throwing with a raised wheel. Since this sounds less wearing on the back, I'm wondering if some who throw from a raised wheel could give guidance on how the height of a raised wheel relates to their throwing positions. I could easily manage a platform to raise the wheel, but I don't have a clue where to start with dimensions. I have an older Brent model B wheel, and wonder if there are other adjustments that would need to be made. Thanks for any input.

Some wheels have feet extensions you can purchase. I am not sure if Brent makes them or if there are compatible parts to purchase. There probably are. One of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to raise the wheel is with cinderblocks.

My wheel is about 8 inches taller than the standard legs allow. I am sitting somewhat upright when I throw but I still have control. To me, the right height is where you can find the balance of control and comfort. That height is different for everyone.

Once you make the change, you will not believe you threw for so long without the extensions!

You can make your own extentions from Plastic drain pipe or buy some Brent Booties which raise the legs 2 or 4 inches your choice (they are steel extensions)

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/supplies/wheels/brentwheels.htm

all the ceramic supplies sell them just do a web search on brent booties

You will need to find the best height to throw for you and that takes some trail and error.

Mark

• 4 years later...

if you can figure out what height is just right, there is a way to do what you want.  measure the diameter of the legs, get some pieces of schedule 40 white pvc pipe a little bigger so the legs will fit inside.  the support that takes the weight of the wheel depends on the legs.  if they are capped firmly, smaller diameter pipe inside will work.  otherwise, drill holes for half inch bolts that will hold the weight.   

Neil had posted an image of his shop made frame he uses to lift his wheel. IMO its the best one I've seen and looks easy to make. Hopefully he'll post that image again.

Thanks Ron. I built this out of scrap lumber. They key is lots of bracing- it has to be solid or the wheel can vibrate. Height-wise, I like the wheel head at about hip level. I would first prop it up on cinder blocks or something to figure out exactly how high you want it before building a stand.

post-6933-0-28143400-1481946597_thumb.jpg

Archived