kiln shed

I have just finished my cinder block fence and have extra blocks. I have been thinking of building a kiln shed to house my electric kiln as well as a place to build a 12 sq. ft. gas kiln. I am a hobbyist so I run through a lot of clay. I don't know what size to build...help.

As big as you can. Seriously. There's no such thing as too much room in a kiln shed. You'll want at least 18" clearance from the walls for the electric, more for the gas to comfortably work around. It'll all depend on the footprint of the gas kiln, where the pipes come in, where the burners sit, etc. I don't recommend putting an electric kiln in an outside shed unless it is water tight. If you wouldn't leave your computer there, you shouldn't leave your electric kiln there.

Great point about the electric kiln. I was going to enclose the structure and have a garage door at one end. The gas fired kiln at the far end centered and the electric kiln along on side wall. I was thinking 12 x 16 with a window opposite the electric kiln. I have claimed one bay of our 3 car garage for the studio. The shed would be directly behind the garage studio. What else should I include?

I keep my 3 electric and one small gas kilns in a shed that is just a tin roof with tarps that roll up for the sides. It's great. On cold days I just open the front tarp all the way and another one a quarter of the way. On hot days I roll up all tarps and it's like firing outside.

Jim

I keep my 3 electric and one small gas kilns in a shed that is just a tin roof with tarps that roll up for the sides. It's great. On cold days I just open the front tarp all the way and another one a quarter of the way. On hot days I roll up all tarps and it's like firing outside.

Jim

I live in a town called "Hurricane" (about 20 miles west of Zion National Park). It's called because the desert winds always blow the fine red sand around. I'm afraid the wind would tear up side panels, but I love the idea. I wanted the garage door and window to get some cross draft during the summer as I loading the kilns.

Jim

I live in a town called "Hurricane" (about 20 miles west of Zion National Park). It's called because the desert winds always blow the fine red sand around. I'm afraid the wind would tear up side panels, but I love the idea. I wanted the garage door and window to get some cross draft during the summer as I loading the kilns.

I have a few potter friends who have work in those Near Zion Galleries you are close to.

As far as a shed bigger is always better.

Mark

Jim

I have a few potter friends who have work in those Near Zion Galleries you are close to.

As far as a shed bigger is always better.

Mark

Walking through their galleries can be both inspiring and deflating at the same time. Great work that I see reminds me that I have a long way top go.... The good thing is, I love the road and the fence posts along the way.

I have steel barn doors on my kiln shed and two exhaust fans set to come on at 110 degrees F.

The computer controls on 2 of my electrics say not get get them too hot.

I also have some raku kilns in here...the reason for the barn door. pullies for my large raku kiln are welded to thesteel beam for thesteel roof. I am in hurricane land..seriously. I have cinderblock walls. I would avoid an overhead type of door.

I live in the tropics and it gets stinking hot down here. I guess it all depends on where you are located.

Marcia

I have steel barn doors on my kiln shed and two exhaust fans set to come on at 110 degrees F.

The computer controls on 2 of my electrics say not get get them too hot.

I also have some raku kilns in here...the reason for the barn door. pullies for my large raku kiln are welded to thesteel beam for thesteel roof. I am in hurricane land..seriously. I have cinderblock walls. I would avoid an overhead type of door.

I live in the tropics and it gets stinking hot down here. I guess it all depends on where you are located.

Marcia

Thanks Marcia. I will consider barn doors. THAT'S A GREAT IDEA. I hadn't even thought about putting a raku kiln in the shed. It keeps growing in needed space... lol. As others have said "a shed can never be too large."

I can only imagine how hot it is in that shed in Aug. Brownville is down right HOT that time of year. I used to live in Temple , Tx. and swim in the South Padre waters on vacation.

Jed

Archived