#41 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

[ The only way you could annoy Off Center more, is if crept into his studio, and glued a splash pan to his wheel.
[/quote]

Benzine, stay out of MY studio and keep your lousy splashpan to yourself!!!!!!!!Posted Image
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#42 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

It seems to me that the discussion on this thread (and a couple of others, recently) took a turn from being from more than an honest difference of opinion.

The problem was, that RD Wolff made a blanket, black and white statement, and that besides Political "Politeness', that's the one thing that Off Center hates. It was the same with the thread on pug mills, where the claim was made, that no one needs to use pug mills, and the discussion of clay and glaze safety, where it was stated, that all of us NEED to exercise more caution, from the obviously toxic things, we work with.

In both cases, posters made matter of fact comments, on things that were just the opposite. The only way you could annoy Off Center more, is if crept into his studio, and glued a splash pan to his wheel.

Sorry, must have missed the memo.

#43 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

So basically we have two problems here:

1. People who are stating things as fact, when they are, in fact, stating opinion. This can be very confusing to people who visit this site looking for actual facts. We need to clarify when we are giving opinion and when we are giving hard scientific fact, and be willing to accept the contradictory opinions that will always follow. Unfortunately, in ceramics there are a million variables to everything, so everyone's experience differs. We need to make sure people who come to this forum seeking answers are aware of this.

2. Thin skins. People need to understand that online forums are a place for people to compare and contrast ideas as well as share information and experiences. That means that not everyone will agree with what you say, and you better be able to back up your statements with some sort of proof. Many people will be very cordial and politically correct in their discussions, while others will tell it like it is. I'm in the kiln business, so I tend to tread lightly on the forum so as not to offend any of the folks I do business with. Others, like Jim, lay it all out there and don't tiptoe around misinformation or unproven statements. I, personally, do not have a problem with this. I think it's great that we get to experience everyone's personalities, otherwise this would be pretty sterile and boring. Plus we need that balance. If people read what Jim is actually saying, he's not being inflammatory or rude, he's just telling it like it is, albeit with more descriptive language than I use.Posted Image

This is fun stuff!
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#44 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

So basically we have two problems here:

1. People who are stating things as fact, when they are, in fact, stating opinion. This can be very confusing to people who visit this site looking for actual facts. We need to clarify when we are giving opinion and when we are giving hard scientific fact, and be willing to accept the contradictory opinions that will always follow. Unfortunately, in ceramics there are a million variables to everything, so everyone's experience differs. We need to make sure people who come to this forum seeking answers are aware of this.

2. Thin skins. People need to understand that online forums are a place for people to compare and contrast ideas as well as share information and experiences. That means that not everyone will agree with what you say, and you better be able to back up your statements with some sort of proof. Many people will be very cordial and politically correct in their discussions, while others will tell it like it is. I'm in the kiln business, so I tend to tread lightly on the forum so as not to offend any of the folks I do business with. Others, like Jim, lay it all out there and don't tiptoe around misinformation or unproven statements. I, personally, do not have a problem with this. I think it's great that we get to experience everyone's personalities, otherwise this would be pretty sterile and boring. Plus we need that balance. If people read what Jim is actually saying, he's not being inflammatory or rude, he's just telling it like it is, albeit with more descriptive language than I use.Posted Image

This is fun stuff!

Exactly.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#45 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

It is kind of Larry's fault for walking into a cyber room of potters and asking such a divisive question like "should I buy this used kiln?".

That's a strange thing to say.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#46 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Love this thread!!!
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users