What exactly am I wrong about? Am I wrong to say not all kilns are built the same? Is that what you're saying? It's hard to tell since you sound like an ad for Olympic Kilns. Yes, except for dimensions most firebrick are pretty much the same. You've already made it clear that you know that. So are construction bricks but that doesn't make every house the same.

Jim

You are dissing me right here with your insulting comment: "you bought a CHEAP kiln," you don't know what you are talking about. I have checked this kiln out with many hours of research and reading reviews on all brands of kilns over months of time. I know what I am looking at when it was delivered and I examined every part of it as someone who knows about engineering, mechanics and materials, and it's an excellent kiln and excellent package deal all around.

Aside from MINOR differences between kilns, they are all basically the same componemts- a pile of firebricks cemented together, a controller, and a cover. This is not a Yugo v/s Rolls Royce here!

FYI, their warrantee is longer than one year, I didn't buy the cheaper Medallian series, I bought the cone 10 kiln with 3" brick, that's a 3 year warrantee:

Olympic delivers Performance - we make our kilns for easy maintenance and repair. Our stackable electric kilns will come apart in sections for easy movement without removing the electrical boxes from the kiln.

Warranty for cone 8/2300°F kilns is 2 years and for cone 10/2350°F our warranty extends 1 year. We stand behind our product because our reputation depends on it. We are proud of our work and we want you to feel the same.

How dare you insult me the way you have with your "fine and dandy" dismissing comment too! I'm done with you bud, go buy the used kiln and enjoy it then, no sweat off my backside!

Just so you know, Offcenter (who you are addressing) was not the potential buyer... This thread has gotten pretty badly derailed.

What exactly am I wrong about? Am I wrong to say not all kilns are built the same? Is that what you're saying? It's hard to tell since you sound like an ad for Olympic Kilns. Yes, except for dimensions most firebrick are pretty much the same. You've already made it clear that you know that. So are construction bricks but that doesn't make every house the same.

Jim

You are dissing me right here with your insulting comment: "you bought a CHEAP kiln," you don't know what you are talking about. I have checked this kiln out with many hours of research and reading reviews on all brands of kilns over months of time. I know what I am looking at when it was delivered and I examined every part of it as someone who knows about engineering, mechanics and materials, and it's an excellent kiln and excellent package deal all around.

Aside from MINOR differences between kilns, they are all basically the same componemts- a pile of firebricks cemented together, a controller, and a cover. This is not a Yugo v/s Rolls Royce here!

FYI, their warrantee is longer than one year, I didn't buy the cheaper Medallian series, I bought the cone 10 kiln with 3" brick, that's a 3 year warrantee:

Olympic delivers Performance - we make our kilns for easy maintenance and repair. Our stackable electric kilns will come apart in sections for easy movement without removing the electrical boxes from the kiln.

Warranty for cone 8/2300°F kilns is 2 years and for cone 10/2350°F our warranty extends 1 year. We stand behind our product because our reputation depends on it. We are proud of our work and we want you to feel the same.

How dare you insult me the way you have with your "fine and dandy" dismissing comment too! I'm done with you bud, go buy the used kiln and enjoy it then, no sweat off my backside!

Just so you know, Offcenter (who you are addressing) was not the potential buyer... This thread has gotten pretty badly derailed.

"I'm going off the rails, on a crazy train....."

Jim

Who is Bye?

Jim

Jim

Who is Bye?

Jim

My guess it is RD Wolff . . . who seems to have left the forum.

I didnt mean to start a fuss.

I do thank everyone for their opinions.

don't worry about it. some folks just have sensitive natures and can't see that an honest difference of opinion is not a personal insult directed at them. if it weren't this topic to set him off, it would have been another.

keep asking questions.

Something about the internet, folks who would normally not be abrasive in discussions can just let it fly when they are not face to face. It is a shame. It should also be embarrassing to the ones involved but my guess is that it seldom is as they get so caught up into it that righteous indignation takes over.

I do hope the original poster got some help from the thread before it went south.

It is kind of Larry's fault for walking into a cyber room of potters and asking such a divisive question like "should I buy this used kiln?".

LOL! We get the used kiln question here quite a lot, and it's never a simple answer. Like most things in clay, it depends..... I think people were explaining that quite nicely until Wolff made his comment that all kilns are the same. He should know better. Might as well go to a music forum and say all guitars are the same. It's not true, and it's disrespectful to the manufacturers. No one should ever be afraid to post questions here, and those of us who respond have a responsibility to give the best answers we can, not vague general statements. People come here for details, not the general stuff you find in catalogs.

I found a used kiln on craigslist, its an older evenheat 24" wide and 30" deep. They are asking 450$ and it includes shelves and some furnature. Do yall think it would be worth it?

All my kilns are CL kiln...look for good clean bricks and a decent sitter...everything else is easily replaced...but I wouldnt pay $450 unless its perfect- here in Austin. I dont know about your area. Here we usually have at least 20 listed at a time.

It is kind of Larry's fault for walking into a cyber room of potters and asking such a divisive question like "should I buy this used kiln?".

Thats funny, somehow I think the out come may have been similar if I posted I have 5000$ which kiln should I get.

I did get some useful information so alls well, at least for me.

Thats funny, somehow I think the out come may have been similar if I posted I have 5000$ which kiln should I get.

I did get some useful information so alls well, at least for me.

I can recommend several $5000 kilns....

It seems to me that the discussion on this thread (and a couple of others, recently) took a turn from being from more than an honest difference of opinion.

The problem was, that RD Wolff made a blanket, black and white statement, and that besides Political "Politeness', that's the one thing that Off Center hates. It was the same with the thread on pug mills, where the claim was made, that no one needs to use pug mills, and the discussion of clay and glaze safety, where it was stated, that all of us NEED to exercise more caution, from the obviously toxic things, we work with.

In both cases, posters made matter of fact comments, on things that were just the opposite. The only way you could annoy Off Center more, is if crept into his studio, and glued a splash pan to his wheel.

It seems to me that the discussion on this thread (and a couple of others, recently) took a turn from being from more than an honest difference of opinion.

The problem was, that RD Wolff made a blanket, black and white statement, and that besides Political "Politeness', that's the one thing that Off Center hates. It was the same with the thread on pug mills, where the claim was made, that no one needs to use pug mills, and the discussion of clay and glaze safety, where it was stated, that all of us NEED to exercise more caution, from the obviously toxic things, we work with.

In both cases, posters made matter of fact comments, on things that were just the opposite. The only way you could annoy Off Center more, is if crept into his studio, and glued a splash pan to his wheel.

Sorry, must have missed the memo.

So basically we have two problems here:

1. People who are stating things as fact, when they are, in fact, stating opinion. This can be very confusing to people who visit this site looking for actual facts. We need to clarify when we are giving opinion and when we are giving hard scientific fact, and be willing to accept the contradictory opinions that will always follow. Unfortunately, in ceramics there are a million variables to everything, so everyone's experience differs. We need to make sure people who come to this forum seeking answers are aware of this.

2. Thin skins. People need to understand that online forums are a place for people to compare and contrast ideas as well as share information and experiences. That means that not everyone will agree with what you say, and you better be able to back up your statements with some sort of proof. Many people will be very cordial and politically correct in their discussions, while others will tell it like it is. I'm in the kiln business, so I tend to tread lightly on the forum so as not to offend any of the folks I do business with. Others, like Jim, lay it all out there and don't tiptoe around misinformation or unproven statements. I, personally, do not have a problem with this. I think it's great that we get to experience everyone's personalities, otherwise this would be pretty sterile and boring. Plus we need that balance. If people read what Jim is actually saying, he's not being inflammatory or rude, he's just telling it like it is, albeit with more descriptive language than I use.wink.gif

This is fun stuff!

So basically we have two problems here:

1. People who are stating things as fact, when they are, in fact, stating opinion. This can be very confusing to people who visit this site looking for actual facts. We need to clarify when we are giving opinion and when we are giving hard scientific fact, and be willing to accept the contradictory opinions that will always follow. Unfortunately, in ceramics there are a million variables to everything, so everyone's experience differs. We need to make sure people who come to this forum seeking answers are aware of this.

2. Thin skins. People need to understand that online forums are a place for people to compare and contrast ideas as well as share information and experiences. That means that not everyone will agree with what you say, and you better be able to back up your statements with some sort of proof. Many people will be very cordial and politically correct in their discussions, while others will tell it like it is. I'm in the kiln business, so I tend to tread lightly on the forum so as not to offend any of the folks I do business with. Others, like Jim, lay it all out there and don't tiptoe around misinformation or unproven statements. I, personally, do not have a problem with this. I think it's great that we get to experience everyone's personalities, otherwise this would be pretty sterile and boring. Plus we need that balance. If people read what Jim is actually saying, he's not being inflammatory or rude, he's just telling it like it is, albeit with more descriptive language than I use.wink.gif

This is fun stuff!

Exactly.

Archived